• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Size Shed?

KarinB

Warren Scout
I want to put my two Netherland Dwarfs into a shed instead of their current 2 storey set up. I'd like to know what size others on here have and for how many/what breed of bunnies.

I am considering getting one or two more bunnies in the future so would obviously have to take this into consideration if I end up binding them and putting them all in together.

Ours is 5 x 3 with an attached run of 5 x 5 (all in feet). We have 2 buns in there, both are 2 to 3 kg.

I have 2 medium rabbits ina 7 x 5 shed. They have a kennel thing which they can jump on and a ramp leads from that on to a table (ex dining) where they have a big box of hay and they sleep in that. This size seems about right but the bigger the better

My 2 mini rex are in a 7x5 summerhouse. I think it's a good size for them, they spend most of their time in their despite 24/7 access to 2 runs so they must think so too. Obviously the bigger the better though!

My two (dutch cross and a lop) have a 6ft x 4ft shed, which has two extra levels (each 4ft x 3ft) and they have plenty of space :)

I have two large lops in a 8x6ft shed with a 6x6ft avairy attacted and its fab...so much space! I have two 9 ish week old french lops in a 6x4ft shed with a 9x6ft attached avairy and then two dutchies in a 5ft double hutch and 6ft attatched run :) I love the 8x6 shed and would have one for all of them if I could fit them in the garden!! I plan to move the baby frnechies into a 8x6 when they are bigger and put my two dutchies into the 6x4 shed then :thumb:

WP_000278.jpg

WP_000272.jpg

There you go. We wanted 6 x 4 but could only fit 5 x 3. Loads more space than a hutch though and they love it.

We have a 6x4 shed with an attached 6x4 run although if we could have afforded it I would have preferred a 8x6 shed. Our boys are medium size rabbits.
We have only had the shed set up for three weeks so it is still work in progress and still needs tweaking but it is so much better that out previous hutch/run set up, so much better for winter.

Well thanks all. I decided on a 5 x 5 playhouse after all and it is in the process of being made for me.

Do you insulate your sheds, if so, how and with what and if you do, do you have any extra ventilation (apart from the windows)?

We put two vents in, the one you can see in the picture and another in the apex on the far end so there is some air flow through.

We put two vents in, the one you can see in the picture and another in the apex on the far end so there is some air flow through.

Are they just fitted on the outside of the shed? Or do they go all the way through into the inside as well? What did you insulate with? Did you also insulate the roof space?

Are they just fitted on the outside of the shed? Or do they go all the way through into the inside as well? What did you insulate with? Did you also insulate the roof space?

We drilled massive holes behind them rather than cut big bits out. We insulated with Kingspan, then lined with plywood all the way round, roof, floor and sides.

Last edited:
We drilled massive holes behind them rather than cut big bits out. We insulated with Kingspan, then lined with plywood all the way round, roof, floor and sides.

Did you line the shed with any kind of membrane before insulating? Will the insulation you have put in not rot if it gets wet?

I'm not sure how you think it'll get wet so I'm a bit confused. Sheds don't soak through.

Condensation.

My bunnies have lived outside since we got them, in severe weather we have a hessian backed carpet that fits onto the front of the hutch and we have an overhanging tarp to protect from the driving rain as their hutch faces the west where all our bad weather comes from so I have decided that I am not going to insulate, will have a carpet fitted onto the front if required for bad weather and will see how they go. If they are okay than I will leave it like that, if they are cold I will insulate at a later date.

I get you know. There shouldn't be any if the ventilation is good enough, plus the ply on the inside will protect it from that.

Back