• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boris - Sore hocks??

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I have read Belgian hares may be prone to them, noticed yesterday when I picked him up I could feel on the very back of his feet, his like ankle you could say, he had no fur in that tiny spot you can feel it's bare so I had a look and they are red. I parted the fur on the rest on his feet and a little area is red on each one, he walks normally and showed no sign of pain but I can imagine it is sore, he isn't overweight or anything else. Feel bad for not noticing/checking earlier :( my room used to have carpet but now has lino, which is soft and like squidgy if you press down on it and has a large rug and Boris has a soft dog bed but will me putting fleece down most of the areas he walks be enough? What is treatment, like cream? ive put sudocrem on him for now until he can get seen hope that was ok. I can get pictures if that may help to see how bad they are as im not sure, have had no experience nor read about it much really. Thank you in advance

I have read Belgian hares may be prone to them, noticed yesterday when I picked him up I could feel on the very back of his feet, his like ankle you could say, he had no fur in that tiny spot you can feel it's bare so I had a look and they are red. I parted the fur on the rest on his feet and a little area is red on each one, he walks normally and showed no sign of pain but I can imagine it is sore, he isn't overweight or anything else. Feel bad for not noticing/checking earlier :( my room used to have carpet but now has lino, which is soft and like squidgy if you press down on it and has a large rug and Boris has a soft dog bed but will me putting fleece down most of the areas he walks be enough? What is treatment, like cream? ive put sudocrem on him for now until he can get seen hope that was ok. I can get pictures if that may help to see how bad they are as im not sure, have had no experience nor read about it much really. Thank you in advance

I have rexes and the only way i have found to eliminate sore hocks is to put carpet on there ramps in the runs and hutches cos my indoor buns do not suffer with this as there on carpet hope this helps.

Adrian

My mini rex, Fiver, has some bad scabs on his hocks today and he sleeps/plays on a lovely bunny bed. The softness doesn't help him at all. :(
We use either plain neosporin on his callouses (not the one with pain relief-that's bad for them if they lick it off) or even better is bag balm.
I've heard of sudocream but it is hard to find here in the U.S.

Thankyou BYB, he's a Belgian hare but I read they can also be prone to them?

Wow he is a hare. :love:

I haven't had any problems with Bandit yet, as he is a rex, but when he was inside he was on carpet and the 2nd hand summerhouse I bought was already carpetted.

Hope its healing up.

I dab a little preperation H on poppetts sore hock, and it works a treat!,
shes kept on fleece and thick carpet and she still suffers it

Thankyou all, snow-white/those that mentioned topical treatmenets, are those what you get from your vet or stuff you can buy elsewhere?

alot of rabbits have that worn away heel. when i spotted it on bisc and matt, the vet said to leave it if it stays like that. if it becomes dry or hard you can put a little cream on it but not too often as it makes it too moist and then bacteria can get there. if it cracks, bathe it twice a day with cooled boiled salt water and apply honey once a day. matts heels stayed with the worn away bit, it's kind of still smooth skin, just a bit red. with bisc, his became dry and it cracks every so often. also, you can use just normal honey the vet said. keep an eye on it but don't over-do the cream. :wave:

My bunnies had sore hocks last year, my vet said that you should try to make the floor of the hutch as soft as possible. Plenty of bedding etc. When rabbits slide on slippery floors, they put all their weight on their heels and this cause it and make it worse. Hope he feels better soon! :)

Back