• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My older 11 yr rabbit has an abscess under his right eye...

Hello...I came across this website earlier this evening as I desperately searched the internet for information regarding rabbit abscesses. My bunny is eleven years old. I've known for some time that we've been on borrowed time but I never thought an abscess would be the challenge that perhaps we wouldn't be able to overcome. My veterninarian will be calling me tomorrow to discuss several options. Because of his age,I don't know if he could survive the anesthesia if we were to try to surgically remove his tooth which my vet explained is the cause of the abscess. The abscess is small-about the size of a marble and it's located under his right eye. It came about very suddenly and so far does not seem to bother him nor has it effected his ability to eat. I am so confused. I've read about penicillin injections and how effective they can be at managing an abscess that once might have been untreatable. I would appreciate any information and opinions regarding this matter. I love this animal more than life itself and as devastated as I will be without him,I don't want him to suffer in anyway.Thank you.

Hello

Whilst surgical removal of the abscess and the offending tooth/tooth root is usually preferable in this situation I wonder if more conservative management would be an option. By this I mean opening the abscess externally to allow daily flushing and possibly packing with medical grade Manuka Honey. Then also a covering systemic antibiotic and a non steroidal anti inflammatory. If your Vet could obtain a swab from the abscess wall to get a culture for testing to establish the exact bacteria involved and the most suitable antibiotic/combination of antibiotics to use. Whilst this probably wont cure the infection it may well buy him more 'good quality' time. An anaesthetic and invasive surgery would be a big risk for him and it may be that his major organ function is no longer 100% anyway.

I think the conservative management approach is what I would discuss with the Vet if one of my Rabbits was in the same situation. I do hope your special old man has as much time remaining as possible.

Back