• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is Pippin's colouring called?

jazxo

Mama Doe
I can't actually remember if I've asked this before, sorry if I have but I'm always told different things like seal point, colour point, smoked pearl, siamese sable etc. Or is she a mix up :lol:

tumblr_mcevgmfnTR1qzf99fo1_500.jpg

DSCN3996.jpg

tumblr_mayzwyDeuD1qzf99fo1_500.jpg

pretty? a bit like charlie rabbit but more so...

oops, charlie, i didn't mean more pretty, i meant more colour...

pretty? a bit like charlie rabbit but more so...

oops, charlie, i didn't mean more pretty, i meant more colour...

:lol: oops Charlie won't be happy

I've just realised you don't mean your rabbit called Charlie do you? I'm going mad :roll:

Last edited:
from a yahoo answer "The Himalayan Breed has a short dense coat and a long snaky body and Black, Chocolate, Blue or Lilac points. It has given its name to Varieties in many breeds so you see Himalayan Netheland Dwarfs, Himalayan Lionheads, Himalayan Fuzzy Lops etc. Most of these Breeds recognize all four colors but usually show them in a single class"

suggesting that the name can be applied to other varieties. I once had a Himayalan GP...and it refers to the colouring in that case (as I'm not sure you get "breeds" of GPs)

From Rabbit Smarties "What’s black on both ends and white in the middle? No, it’s not an oreo, because it walks. No, it’s not a belted cow, because it has ruby red eyes. It must be a Himalayan Bunny!

In rabbits, “Himalayan” is the name of both a color and a breed that sports that color. The Himalayan breed is a pretty cool study, too, but this article’s concern is with the variety.

CLOSE TO COLORLESS

The Himalayan color is pure white with dark “points”; that is, the nose, ears, feet, and tail are colored while the rest of the bunny is white. This is caused by a gene that is commonly called the “Himalayan gene”, symbolized by the letters ch. The group of “C” genes in rabbits controls the amount and placement of the color. The “Full Color” gene, symbolized by a capital C, produces varieties like chestnut, black, blue, chocolate, and otter. The lowest and weakest “C” gene is the Ruby-Eyed White gene, symbolized by a lowercase c. The REW gene removes all color from the fur and eyes.

Himalayan, or “ch”, is just one step above REW—most of the color is gone, but it lingers on the rabbit’s extremities."

So, no...your very gorgeous bunny is not Himalayan as it does not have red eyes...so must be a seal point or something :lol:

edited to say I'm not sure whether Himalayans have to have red eyes...

Siamese sable on himalayan it is then :lol: thanks guys. More suggestions are welcome though!

I get the impression that different "points" are just different shades of sable..but could be wrong!

link which explains deifference between Sable point and seal point "Sable Point
aa B_ cchl_ D_ ee (brown eyes)
The chinchilla genotype aa B_ cchd_ D_ ee produces a darker color which is sometimes called seal point or sallander.

The sable point has sepia brown ears, feet, tail and face mask. The body color fades to a very light cream color. Heavy shading on the body is generally faulted. Pure white body, belly or under tail may disqualified in some breeds. Eyes are brown and may show a ruby glow (especially those carrying the REW gene). Watch for blue-gray eyes in the sable point (disqualification - these are "blue point" aka "pewter point"). Also watch for tan pattern markings on sable points (disqualification - sable point marten).

"

Last edited:
Back