• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips for syringe feeding antibiotics?

MillyAlice

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:
Jaspie's on Septrin at the moment. We've always found that it's very difficult to syringe feed him and normally just dose his food. Now he has a rather greedy new wife, it's impossible to make sure he gets it rather than her!
He gets very stressed, we do it between the two of us with me holding him wrapped as a bunny burrito and the OH doing the feeding. He's started trying to escape and gets very unhappy. Just wondered if anyone had any tips as to what we could do different.
Thanks!

We have the same prob with Nibbles. We resorted to putting it on treats while he's wrapped up :S Otherwise, it actually works best when Nibbles is nuzzling into OH's chest cos then he can slip the syringe into Nibbles' mouth. I find that wrapping Nibbles up and me trying to syringe him makes him really stressed :( Nibbles used to like taking his medicine from a plate ie licking it off in his own itme but this hasn't worked this time around!

Not sure if this will work with other buns but it worked for Amber and me: after the Burrito being a disaster (how many legs has a rabbit got???!! :shock: ), i got my small carry case, put her it it and placed it on the table. I was able to hold her side and pop the syringe in without too much fuss. My theory was that if you dont appear to be forcing bunny too much, they think they are doing YOU a favour. Plus there isn't too much room for a fight in a small carrier :thumb:

I put mine on a fenugreek crunchie and they just eat it lol they even ate the panacur spread on a fenugreek lol

I used to get them from Hayexperts but there's a big pet store near me and I asked the lady if she would get some so I get them from her now :wave:

Do you have the paediatric Septrin (banana) or the adult one (mint)?

I have two bunnies on the paediatric one at the moment, and they both take a full 2ml from the syringe by just offering it - they love it. Have you tried just offering the syringe?

BB has to have heart meds every day, and I didn't want to stress her with restraint, so I routinely offer her 1ml of apple juice in a syringe which she takes readily, and it means she happily takes any meds offered in the hope its apple juice!

Alison Marie, we find it stresses him out like crazy :( The plate idea is a great one! I had a bun called Nibbles when I was a little girl, has brought back lots of lovely memories of my sweet timid bunny :love:

Michelleox, Jasper used to burrito up just fine, but has realised he can spring free... he headbutted me the other day :shock: I like the idea of the carry case, they have it in their pen as a bolt hole because I like the idea of them not being afraid of it and it smelling like them so that's a great idea, thank you! Jasper loves that air of superiority when he does his useless hoomins a favour ;)

BB Mommy, he's on the banana paed suspension, it'd never occured to me to just feed him the darn thing! In the scrabbling the other day I ended up ingesting some and I have to say, it's pretty tasty and sweet, I'm sure he'd love it if he could try it in his own time! I'm sorry to hear BB has to take meds every day, lucky she has a great bunny mummy!

I'm armed with some great ideas now, thank you all so much! :thumb:

Back