• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Julie update

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
She choked on her hay Friday morning and yesterday afternoon. Her hay chokes are worse than her pellet chokes but she still bounces right back and runs to try and eat more. I am soaking her hay in hot water to soften it and coating it with a little mushed pumpkin. So far no choking and she seems to love it like this and eating tons of it. I have been on Julie watch all night. It is still dark out. I am never up this early. I am sleepy but she seems pretty energetic loving the extra attention and bunny lovings. She is such a snuggle girl and a real foodie.

Hope she continues not to choke. Good to have an update.

Thanks, so far still no choking and she is eating the stuff like it is a special treat and like she hasn't eaten is years. Since she has the wet hay she is only taking short breaks from eating it to have a little nap or to get a fuss and to hop around like a mad women around my feet making sure that I gave her her meds. Oh yeah and to try to break into her cage. It is locked up still because it still is full of hay. I am about to clean it out so she can get into it. Taking care of her is a full time job. I have no idea how Hugo's There or Jack's Jane takes care of all their special needs buns. I am worn out and it is still morning.:lol: But It is worth every minutes and I really don't mind at all................not in the least.

Poor Julie, I wonder why she keeps choking. Thankfully the new food is fine. What a worry for you. I think looking after an indoor bun is like looking after a naughty child. As soon as your back is turned they are up to no good.;)

Poor Julie, I wonder why she keeps choking. Thankfully the new food is fine. What a worry for you. I think looking after an indoor bun is like looking after a naughty child. As soon as your back is turned they are up to no good.;)

Boy do I wish we knew why she chokes. Her vet still doesn't know. It is so frustrating. Now her vet is on maternity leave but I have been in constant touch with the nurse. I am going to call the vet that is seeing some of her patients for her tomorrow.... She is not as rabbit experienced though.

Last edited:
Boy do I wish we knew why she chokes. Her vet still doesn't know. It is so frustrating. Now her vet is on maternity leave but I have been in constant touch with the nurse. I am going to call the vet that is seeing some of her patients for her tomorrow.... She is not as rabbit experienced though.

Do you think it might be similiar to a reflux movement in the throat. Trying to think of a clear way of explaining what I mean. A bit like when you put a bit too much food in your mouth and need to cough it back out.

Do you think it might be similiar to a reflux movement in the throat. Trying to think of a clear way of explaining what I mean. A bit like when you put a bit too much food in your mouth and need to cough it back out.

Funny you should say that as that is simular to what the hubby thinks is wrong. He is thinking that something is wrong with her epiglottis. That it may not always be closing properly so allowing food back up. I am going to ask the vet about that and actual reflux. Don't know if rabbits get that or not??? but could stomach acid come back up and burn her throat causing the mucus?

You are so right about the naughty child thing. She is like a 2 year old. She was asleep so I grab her cage and headed through the door to take it outside to dump it and clean it. I feel fur on my legs ...look down... she is coming outside with me. She is not allowed outside.
I have the cage all cleaned and put the base in place... turn around to grab the top part and she is in the base running from side to side. She refused to get out so I have to carefully place the top on with her in it. ...then I am fitting a blanket into her other hay box so she can still sleep in it and she hops in and lays down on my hand while I am still fixing the blanket. Obviously her arthritis is not bothering her today.:D She is crazy.:D

Funny you should say that as that is simular to what the hubby thinks is wrong. He is thinking that something is wrong with her epiglottis. That it may not always be closing properly so allowing food back up. I am going to ask the vet about that and actual reflux. Don't know if rabbits get that or not??? but could stomach acid come back up and burn her throat causing the mucus?

You are so right about the naughty child thing. She is like a 2 year old. She was asleep so I grab her cage and headed through the door to take it outside to dump it and clean it. I feel fur on my legs ...look down... she is coming outside with me. She is not allowed outside.
I have the cage all cleaned and put the base in place... turn around to grab the top part and she is in the base running from side to side. She refused to get out so I have to carefully place the top on with her in it. ...then I am fitting a blanket into her other hay box so she can still sleep in it and she hops in and lays down on my hand while I am still fixing the blanket. Obviously her arthritis is not bothering her today.:D She is crazy.:D

Awwww thats so cute.:love:

I don't know idea how a rabbits throat works but always worth asking the vets. Or asking one of the more experienced bunny owners on here.

Back