• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild rabbits getting to pet rabbit

Hi, we have recently rehoused our beautiful outdoor rabbit, Bruce.
He has a very large hutch with a very large run and is allowed to roam the garden when we are in it.
All in all he is a friendly and seemingly very happy rabbit.
He is also very territorial, and constantly rubs his scent all over the garden.
He has had all his relevant inoculations.
The scenting appears to have attracted other, wild rabbits that live in the area ( we are fortunate enough to live in open space within the highlands of Scotland)

Now we're approaching winter, I have notticed lots of what I assume to be shallow rabbit digs around the lawn and some near to Bruce's cage. Today I noticed that something (wild rabbits?) have seriously chewed on the wood at the base of bruce's run.

I would be greatful on any thoughts with regards to this...
Am I silly to assume its rabbits? Could it be badgers? I thought about pine martins but there is no other evidence to suggest this.
If its wild rabbits are they trying to get at Bruce, or just using the wood to chew cause it's easier tha nearby treees?

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Many thanks for all your help and advice

Sam

i am no expert but i'd make sure there's no way in. and try to put a no-man's land (no-bun's land?) around your run. wild bunnies are afflicted by myxo all over the place at the moment. are you sure it's buns chewing in, and not a fox?

Many thanks happy bun. Pretty sure it's not a fox as it certainly looks like gnawing and shredding.
Fortunately bruce has had vaccines against mxyo.

Thans:D

I once had rats that chewed a hole in the bottom of my guinea pigs hutch to get in and eat their food. It could well be rats?

Could be but thers much easier food to come by in next doors stables. Think I'm going to put mud down along edge so I can get paw prints o help wth densification and make sure front if cage is well boarded up at night as Bruce has a tunnel that allows him to run between the two

Could be anything really, definitely make sure he is locked in securely at night and not somewhere that could be dug into :?

The shallow digs sound like "scrapes", something rabbits do at the end of their territory to leave their droppings in. If your rabbit gets out with the wild ones they will attack him so you need to do something to protect him from this possibility and also the stress it will cause. Could you have bunny indoors for the winter until you sort out the problem?

Just a thought, as a house rabbit, Bruce was probably quite happy as an only rabbit, but now as an outside rabbit, he would likely love to have a bunny friend to keep him company. :)

Just a thought, as a house rabbit, Bruce was probably quite happy as an only rabbit, but now as an outside rabbit, he would likely love to have a bunny friend to keep him company. :)

This :)

Just to add, even though your bun is vaccinated he is still at risk of catching Myxi, although likely a less severe form. Best take precautions to keep the other rabbits at a distance anyway :wave:

Back