• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just bought the most horrible hay from Pets at Home :(

jazxo

Mama Doe
It was the closest shop that sold hay and because the temperature has suddenly dropped I wanted some cheapish hay for bedding and to stuff her hutch with so I bought P@H meadow hay and it smells disgusting and feels horrible too :( had to use it though because I only have my expensive stuff left :/ Pippin definitely didn't like it, was in there kicking it all about :lol:

Does anyone buy bedding hay and feeding hay or am I being silly? I would buy bales/in larger quantities but I just have nowhere to store it.

I buy Jollyes meadow hay (from Norfolk Pastures) as bedding hay for the piggles. The bunnies all have regular farm bales for bedding or eating, depending on how stalky it is. But they all have decent stuff from DFH or Hay Experts as eating hay :D.

I buy Jollyes meadow hay (from Norfolk Pastures) as bedding hay for the piggles. The bunnies all have regular farm bales for bedding or eating, depending on how stalky it is. But they all have decent stuff from DFH or Hay Experts as eating hay :D.

Oh I have a Jollyes near me, might have to try theirs! Thanks :)

Oh I have a Jollyes near me, might have to try theirs! Thanks :)

It's usually not that bad as hay from pet stores goes. Quite a long chop and good quality. But my buns or piggies won't eat it - they prefer the farm bales or good stuff :thumb:.

All my bedding hay and straw comes from pets at home. This stuff
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/hay-bedding-for-small-animals-by-pets-at-home-57198
although the bag has changed now.

I've always found it good quality, infact, I opened a new bag earlier today and it felt lovely! Their eating hay comes from Burns pet.

Thanks what I got today! Lucky you, this one smells like damp/mould :( worried about using it. I have used it before actually and it wasn't too bad but this must be a very bad batch.

Thanks! Oh I love the shed by the way. Looks so amazing!

It's £4 from both places but The Range have a bigger bag, just depends where we are closest :)

Thank you! They're finally in! :lol: my mind is at piece now.. Lovely snuggly buns :love:

It's £4 from both places but The Range have a bigger bag, just depends where we are closest :)

Thank you! They're finally in! :lol: my mind is at piece now.. Lovely snuggly buns :love:

I'll have a look then :)

I'm so insanely jealous haha. Hate not being able to sit out with Pippin as much because it's raining so much recently, you can just pop in there with them!

I'll have a look then :)

I'm so insanely jealous haha. Hate not being able to sit out with Pippin as much because it's raining so much recently, you can just pop in there with them!

I think The Range do bulk deliveries too, but it's usually 4 bags and they are quite big :lol:

I don't think they'll want me in there :( Donny has a thing for constantly nudging my bum :roll: and Lola tries to pull socks/shoes off :roll: I'll have to buy a chair especially :lol:

I think The Range do bulk deliveries too, but it's usually 4 bags and they are quite big :lol:

I don't think they'll want me in there :( Donny has a thing for constantly nudging my bum :roll: and Lola tries to pull socks/shoes off :roll: I'll have to buy a chair especially :lol:

I wish I had a shed I could use to store things, it'd be so much easier!

Oh no :( My last rabbit had a thing for bum nudging too! Your two sound so cheeky! But lovely of course :)

I just buy ings, timothy/rye and barley, wheat & oat hay from Hat4 pets & Hay experts. It's meant to be eating hay but ends up as litter hay by the end of the day :lol: Luckily being indoor buns, mine don't need hay for bedding...even if they were outside I wouldn't buy from Pets at home, and the range stuff doesn't look good...I'd buy a £4 bale of meadow hay from my local horse place. But then I have got a large shed for storage!
edited to say that I don't actually use my shed to store the hay :oops: I don't like going out in the rain or cold, so 20Kg is in my laundry room, and 10kg is in tough crates in the dining room with the buns.

Last edited:
I just buy ings, timothy/rye and barley, wheat & oat hay from Hat4 pets & Hay experts. It's meant to be eating hay but ends up as litter hay by the end of the day :lol: Luckily being indoor buns, mine don't need hay for bedding...even if they were outside I wouldn't buy from Pets at home, and the range stuff doesn't look good...I'd buy a £4 bale of meadow hay from my local horse place. But then I have got a large shed for storage!

Hmm yeah it seems I've got a bit of a dilemma, I've even contemplated storing a bale in my bedroom... :roll:

I've even contemplated putting it in the loft, rather than in the shed :lol: At least it won't get damp in the loft..not sure about the shed!

I wish I had a shed I could use to store things, it'd be so much easier!

Oh no :( My last rabbit had a thing for bum nudging too! Your two sound so cheeky! But lovely of course :)

I'm glad I've been able to get the hay in, means I don't have to go to the back of the garden everyday and get it all over the grass :lol: my mother is very pleased! She was so excited to get them in she painted the shed for me yesterday evening :lol: forgot to put the picture up though..!

They get away with everything because they're so cute:lol: Donny is the worst for it.. They ignore their names all of the time.. Unless they're being naughty:lol: or they think food is coming :roll::lol:

The Jollyes stuff has always been from Devon hasn't it?
Straw-Hay-Shavings.jpg

Back