• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what do you think of this hutch?

beki

Mama Doe
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350565830122?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Im looking for a new hutch. I have a nethie and a thrianta (1.8kg and 2.5kg), would this be big enough? I can't offer free ranging but I do have a 6x4 run I could attach somehow for use when i'm at home if needed, perhaps I could get a runaround tube.

I really wanted an aviary but I have a lot to do to my garden before I can have one of those so thought i might be best just upgrading my hutch for now.

oo i have just noticed its a Happyhutch. These are good aren't they?

I think it's ok but it'd need to go on something predator and dig proof. I prefer double hutches with attached runs so they have more indoor space than you get when the whole bottom area is run. Do you have room for a shed? Our 5 x 3 shed was £120 and we put our run on it. We spent alot of money insulating it and lining it out but you wouldn't have to do that.

I have heard they are good for what you pay. Sometimes people seem to have problems with things like hinges rusting and needing replacing etc and others have no problems at all. But for the amount of space you get they seem good for the price.

I was going to buy one myself but in the end I didn't have to

I think Happyhutches are good value. I have a happy hutch and its 5 years old, and still going strong. All we have had to do with it, is just basic repair and maintainence: new felting on the roof and re-treating the wood. Its been outside in all weathers.

At the moment I have a 5 foot double but I think it needs replacing soon. I was planning on maybe boarding up the back and perhaps half of either side just to make it a bit less drafty, particularly over winter. I have a patio I can put it on.

I would love a shed but the problem is I have an upward sloping garden. I have a narrow patio that i can put a hutch on but not a shed as a shed would just take over and make it dark inside as our patio is actually up 6 stone steps, so is elevated about 3 foot, and it would block light into our kitchen. I really want a section of the garden levelling off for an aviary or a shed but we have been speaking about it for years and never got it done :( the side of the house is too narrow for a mini digger so it would all have to be done by hand and we have never got round to it, even harder now I have a baby. One day i will live in a nice house with a flat garden so I can have a shed.

I do actually have a partially concreted, although slightly sloped, bit at the end of my garden, but it needs work before I could put anything up there.

Back