• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 legged buns

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi guys, I'm adopting a 3 legged bunny and wondered if anyone has any advice on extra care needed or if there's anything I need to think about that's may have not thought about?

Thanks

Hi guys, I'm adopting a 3 legged bunny and wondered if anyone has any advice on extra care needed or if there's anything I need to think about that's may have not thought about?

Thanks

They sometimes find ramps difficult and , depending on the bun, cannot jump as high as normal and if it's a back leg will need checking to make sure stump isn't sore or dirty. Surfaces may have to be a bit softer and kept clean again depending on buns gait and if/how the stump touches the ground as bun moves
As they get older can be more prone to arthritis as put more strain on other limbs..but apart from that..normal bunny!

Hi Jill, thanks for replying. Yes it's a back foot so need to make floor soft. I had had rubber matting down as prev bun was a Rex so prone to sore hocks. I took the matting out after Roxy passed away as Blake (remaining bun) had no issues with lino flooring.

I've got some matting left so will put that down. Would blankets on floor be a good idea too? (not sure if they'd just get eaten?!!)

There are no ramps in the shed but there is a Little Tykes playhouse with slide, but she can just choose not to use it I guess.

What about the type of litter trays needed - Can 3-leggeds still hope in ok? And are water bottles ok or is a bowl better?

What is the best cream to put on her remaining hind foot, should it get sore?

Thanks in advance :)

Front or hind leg missing ?

If a hind leg the you'll need to keep a check on the ear on the side of the missing leg as the inability to scratch the ear appears to lead to a build up of wax.

Twisting of the spine can occur which can cause pain/arthritis and subsequent GI tract hypomotility in later life.

Sore hock on the remaining leg is also a possibility.

Arthritis in the hip of the remaining leg is a common finding.

If a front limb is missing Bun will have problems grooming his/her head/ears etc. Arthritis in the remaining limb can occur as can stress fractures if Bun jumps down from high areas onto a hard surface.

They need a substrate that provides good traction to assist mobility without slipping

Grooming is a good point
and to tranlate this to ordinary speak rather then med book language
"They need a substrate that provides good traction to assist mobility without slipping "

flooring they can get a grip on :lol:

as jacks jane - and really really cannot stress too much the importance of cleaning their ear for them - they may look likethey are managing but the actual claw may be just missing the important bit . . and thats when infection can build up.

as jacks jane - and really really cannot stress too much the importance of cleaning their ear for them - they may look likethey are managing but the actual claw may be just missing the important bit . . and thats when infection can build up.

Sadly I think checking a bunnies ears is something owners rarely do however many legs a rabbit has..and it is so important

Grooming is a good point
and to tranlate this to ordinary speak rather then med book language
"They need a substrate that provides good traction to assist mobility without slipping "

flooring they can get a grip on :lol:

:lol::lol:

I have found rubber stable matting to be excellent. As the years have past tiffany can no longer walk on concrete or carpet :( Only thick hay and the matting yet she can still jump up and down off shelves :roll: :lol: the only thing i really have ever had to do for her is clean her ear :D

Not quite the same but I have a three legged cat, back leg missing. I daily sit him on my knee and rub round his inaccessable ear for him and gently inside it, down his neck and under his chin. Now being a cat he loves it but whether a rabbit would happily sit or not I dont know.

He manages to wash all his bits and pieces but just sits at a very strange angle to do it. I appreciate hes a cat and not a rabbit but I never regret taking him on, he lives a full happy life and I am sure your rabbit will do too.

Not quite the same but I have a three legged cat, back leg missing. I daily sit him on my knee and rub round his inaccessable ear for him and gently inside it, down his neck and under his chin. Now being a cat he loves it but whether a rabbit would happily sit or not I dont know.

He manages to wash all his bits and pieces but just sits at a very strange angle to do it. I appreciate hes a cat and not a rabbit but I never regret taking him on, he lives a full happy life and I am sure your rabbit will do too.

p prod uk also has a 3 legged cat!! (she may be starting a collection of 3 legged animals?)
if it is similar at least she has a little bit of experience already. :D

sorry for late reply - but thanks to everyone who posted.

I picked Hope up last weekend and her and Blake are currently at Bunny Camp in Bradford being bonded :love:

Will update once they're (hopefully) home and loved up!

Thanks again :wave:

Just a quick update (not been on here in months!) to say Hope has settled in really well with Blake :love:

photo.jpg

And speaking of the other 3-legged in my life:

215505_10150977974901814_406334151_n.jpg

:love::love::love:

Back