• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe/optimum rate of weight gain for poorly/recovering rabbits?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Mulberry is in Week 4 of nodular myxi, and I want to get her weight up before the winter if I possibly can (she is an outside bun but in a shed most of the time at present - she would HATE being indoors) but am not sure how fast this can be done safely.

She should weigh well over 2.5 kg but is currently on 2.25 (up fron 2.16). How many grammes a day is ideal? :wave:

Here she is pre-myxi....

Picture1727.jpg

She's over six and a half now, and as you can see some of her fur is turning white now that she's an older lady.... :love:

I would not aim for a rapid overload of her GI tract as that is likely to cause more problems.

What are you feeding her each day ? Exact amounts would be useful :)

Also, does she share food with the other Rabbits ? If so I think you need to separate her for her feeds to be 100% certain that she is getting a full amount. She may be eating much more slowly than the others so if there is competition she is bound to loose out in terms of quantity.

She's having unlimited hay plus several bowls of pellets (some excel but mostly protexin) mixed with critical care/chopped herbs/ carrots/dandelions/greens/blackberry leaves. She's being fed on her own and tucks into every meal with great appetite. :wave:

Last edited:
Back