• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post op worries!

Fatfish

Young Bun
Hi all,

Back for more advice! Olive was spayed today and she's back here with me. I'm really worried about her, probably because I'm an over anxious owner but....I popped her into her cage with lots of tempting treats to get her eating again, but she's been hiding in her cardboard box mostly. No surprising really, she's still a tad dopey from the anasthetic and a bit sore, she does appear otherwise reletively bright. But I've just had to move her because she'd knocked over her water bowl (I'd added it as she was thirsty but not going to the bottle like normal) and was sitting on wet paper. I picked her up very gently and had a breif look at the wound so I would recognise changes. I noticed an amount of yellowish serius like fluids matted into her tail. I'm a nurse and in a human I would expect a certain amount of discharge following a hysterectomy but is it the same in rabbits? While I was rearranging her cage I moved a bit of paper and might have accidently grazed the wound site and she gave a little squeak of pain.

I am overloaded with guilt! I know I've done this so she can live with the other rabbits and not get the reproductive cancers but right now she's in pain, I caused it and she doesn't understand. Has anyone else been through this? I need to know whats normal and some reassurance! :cry:

Yes, she's had a dose for the day, I asked about a dose for tomorrow and the vet said she shouldn't need it. I am nowhere near sure about that! I have metacam and will be giving it to her tomorrow even if she looks mildly uncomfortable.

Doesn't sound normal to me...I don't recall any discharge, and pain medication is usually given, so I wouldn't expect her to be in pain, especially if she is still groggy from GA. Also, has she external stitches, or was she glued on the outside?. My first bun pulled her stitched out and got infected, so watch out for this, Also keep an eye on her temperature...are her ears cold? If she is cold (feel her ears), wrap her up a bit and if she still doesn't seem right in an hour or two, I'd take her to an emergency vet, My male rabbit took quite a while to get over his last GA, he was particularly unstable and cold, and slept next to me under duvet all night.

She feels quite warm, but I will pop a snuggle safe in with her tonight to be sure. She has external stiches - surprised about that, but the wound looks neat and clean so far.

She's drunk quite a lot but isn't interested in food, I have critical care food to give her if she's not eaten over night tomorrow morning. I've put her water in a much heavier bowl now for overnight.

I don't want her to be in a lot of pain but don't see how it's possible to not be in pain at all! She's had major surgery, I would expect discomfort and tenderness in a human on morphine, so I think a bit of pain has to be normal. She's moving about (gingerly) and has even had a slow minor wash. The discharge is only on her tail and it looks like serous fluid to me, none seems to have leaked onto the paper she's sitting on. She's had a normal looking wee but no poo yet.

Aw poor bun. She will certainly need more Metacam tomorrow (the jab the vet gave should last 24 hrs i think). When mine have had a dental, i leave them to it in the dark for a good while to get over themselves. Then go in and tempt them every so often with something, usually apple and grated carrot as the first to be eaten (my girl opted for these after spay and during Ec). I remember sat there stressing about it but as soon as i left them and turned off the light, them came out of hiding!

Not sure about the discharge though.

I always grate carrot when they are sick too! Somehow it seems tastier than plain chopped carrot - No idea why! My dental rabbit always has it after her ops, maybe it's easier to eat with a sore mouth. But every episode of bloat and EC has always been conquered by grated carrot (and celery!)

As I've been sitting here she's perked up a bit. She's attacked her cardboard box, come out of hiding and is nibbling on hay as I type. She's not showing the classic signs of pain like when Nancy needs her teeth doing or when Casta was very poorly with bloat. She just looks fed up and is moving slowly. Just yesterday afternoon she was a springy excited young bun wanting attention, treats and lot of exercise. I think the camparison is too marked right now.

I'm sure she will be fine, and you'll probably see a marked improvement in the morning. All of my girls have been extremely subdued post-spay - as you say, it's a major/invasive op. (All except Hydrangea who was apparently bouncing around within a few minutes of waking up after the op :roll:)

That's good news! Hopefully she'll continue to perk up. My Amber threw a massive hissy fit the day after her spay and was in a fowl mood for a week :lol:

I felt so guilty whne she had her spay, but it was for the best in the long run :thumb:

That's good news! Hopefully she'll continue to perk up. My Amber threw a massive hissy fit the day after her spay and was in a fowl mood for a week :lol:

I felt so guilty whne she had her spay, but it was for the best in the long run :thumb:

Yes, it's horrible putting them through it, but it has to be done, and I'm sure they forget pretty soon afterwards.....

Both my other girls were spayed by the RSPCA before I picked them up so I was spared this worry. They are bright and happy and loving - I need to remember this when I look at poor Olive! She's really tucking into the hay now :thumb: This can only be a good sign!

Thank you for reassuring me! To reassure you back, I will monitor her closely, give her everything she needs and love and fuss her until she is as spoilt as the other two. I spent £30 on chew toys today, I'm going to introduce them all slowly over the next few days as she perks up to stave of bed rest boredom!

Both my other girls were spayed by the RSPCA before I picked them up so I was spared this worry. They are bright and happy and loving - I need to remember this when I look at poor Olive! She's really tucking into the hay now :thumb: This can only be a good sign!

Thank you for reassuring me! To reassure you back, I will monitor her closely, give her everything she needs and love and fuss her until she is as spoilt as the other two. I spent £30 on chew toys today, I'm going to introduce them all slowly over the next few days as she perks up to stave of bed rest boredom!

Aw she sounds like a very lucky, well-cared for girl! And it's a great sign that she's eating hay already :wave:

Aww you sound like a very good bunny parent, im sure Olive will be fine and she will forgive you soon!

She's looking much brighter this morning, still not herself but she's shuffling about more. Lots of almost normal looking poops and wee, all nicely grouped in one corner so no incontience issues! She's eaten all of her veg, a fair amount of hay and some of her nuggets :thumb: I've given her a bit more carrot this morning, anything to tempt her!

I called the vet as I just can't believe after a big op like this she shouldn't be having a few days of pain relief. She's moving quite gingerly, there's no way this isn't giving her some discomfort! After a bit of convincing they eventually agreed to let me give her a HUGE dose of metacam. I politely ask for her weight, thanked them and rang back my regular vet who has suggested a much more sensible dose after agreeing that a few days of pain relief was a good idea.

Really annoyed at myself for trying this new vet, they were seriously rubbish! The vet taking Olive in barely looked at her both picking her up under one arm and whipping her away from me looking scared and uncomfortable. When I called the next day to ask if it had gone alright he told me off and said I should have waited for them to call me (I can't be the only pet owner to be worried about their pet having major surgery?!). I asked about pain relief yesterday and they said she wouldn't need any and wouldn't give me a dose and then they mixed up the pricing meaning poor Olive had to wait ages in the scary environment while they sorted it out (and told me it was my fault!). Lesson learned - when you have agood vet don't be tempted away from them!

I don't like the sound of that vet at all! Glad she's feeling a bit better today and you've got the correct dose of Metacam for her. Sending lots of vibes for Olive xx

Yes, she's had a dose for the day, I asked about a dose for tomorrow and the vet said she shouldn't need it. I am nowhere near sure about that! I have metacam and will be giving it to her tomorrow even if she looks mildly uncomfortable.

Metacam is painkiller and she will definitely need it for at least a week. She should have had a long lasting injection of it when they did the surgery that lasts 24/48hrs.
I've never known discharge from the spay wound, although not unusual for them to have stuff matted into their fur from the surgery. The colouring could be due to iodine being used to disinfect, thats a yellowy brown colour and can stain the fur. If you can see discharge coming from the wound or any visible swelling appearing around the wound site I would take her back for a check -up.

After a bad experience with post-op complications I now always have planned surgery done at the beginning of the week so if there are problems I can get in to see my own vet rather than having to use the emergency vet.

I called the vet as I just can't believe after a big op like this she shouldn't be having a few days of pain relief. She's moving quite gingerly, there's no way this isn't giving her some discomfort! After a bit of convincing they eventually agreed to let me give her a HUGE dose of metacam. I politely ask for her weight, thanked them and rang back my regular vet who has suggested a much more sensible dose after agreeing that a few days of pain relief was a good idea.

Sadly I've had numerous vets tell me rabbits don't need pain relief after a spay :( I know always ask for it before they have the op, I ask if it's included in the price and if not, how much will it be and I won't use the vet if they refuse to give it. I think you should make a complaint in writing to the RVS.

I know, its shocking not to consider giving her pain relief! The little patch of serous fluid has gone and there doesn't appear to be anything at all leaking from her. I picked her up to inspect the wound earlier, it all looks clean and healthy but she wasn't keen on being handled just yet - can hardly blame her!

However the poor little mite has bigger worries right now - she's woken up properly, feeling more comfortable and here comes the boredom! She's trashed her cage! She's bopping about in there ripping up everything! There is a constant flurry of activity as she moves from ripping up the paper to distroying her cardboard box to throwing her toys around. She's also eaten more in the last 7 hours than I've seen her ever eat in one day. I think we can safely assume we're on the mend :D

I know, its shocking not to consider giving her pain relief! The little patch of serous fluid has gone and there doesn't appear to be anything at all leaking from her. I picked her up to inspect the wound earlier, it all looks clean and healthy but she wasn't keen on being handled just yet - can hardly blame her!

However the poor little mite has bigger worries right now - she's woken up properly, feeling more comfortable and here comes the boredom! She's trashed her cage! She's bopping about in there ripping up everything! There is a constant flurry of activity as she moves from ripping up the paper to distroying her cardboard box to throwing her toys around. She's also eaten more in the last 7 hours than I've seen her ever eat in one day. I think we can safely assume we're on the mend :D

Hehe, great news! :wave:

Back