• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new hammies have a new house :)

Hele

Warren Veteran
My zoo zone 2 arrived today!!! The lid is slightly damaged but it's only on the lip and it doesn't stop it being usable its just annoying that they didn't pack it better :evil:

Am I ok to use shredded paper in there? It is the crosscut sort so it can't get wrapped around legs or anything! They have three of everything, (except sand baths as they ar pretty big and I only put 2 in) water bowls not bottles (as I wasn't sure how to attach them!) and a 1/4 of the cage is carefresh so they can nest, dig and snuggle down. They are currently sleeping at the other end :roll:

Do I need bigger flying saucers or will they work out how to run in a straight line on those things?

All set up!

76AD9089-5DE9-4849-A4D0-043EC95005EB-339-0000010BECE76064.jpg

Hammies having an explore :love:

D5B5C670-912A-4C3A-AC94-E0D1269DD0CE-339-0000010BE752ACC7.jpg

4C4894FF-8157-4C2F-9A0A-1C7E4B2AE78B-339-0000010BD5BD5D7F.jpg

B9E1DE83-7391-41D4-AE3A-D3A198BBF389-339-0000010BCBB231FF.jpg

004F7461-D762-45CB-A705-5FF63AAE087C-339-0000010BBFCAE474.jpg

AAC7AC48-086A-4F29-8E95-BFEE04D4416B-339-0000010BBA95306E.jpg

Now after all that they are having a nap!

3F2443BA-9438-47B8-BA3E-594620102F2F-339-0000010BF5CFD045.jpg

Last edited:
Aww :love:

Looks great :thumb: shredded paper is okay as long as its not sharp but you've got that covered :D careful they don't eat too much if they seem interested in it that way too :lol: I use wilko hamster wash cloth bedding and shredded tissue as well as buying my own wash cloth and cutting it up :) the fluffy stuff looks nice but isn't safe for hamsters as it can wrap around their insides :shock: just for future reference :wave:

Bottle holder wise.. If you have plastic bottles, cut the top off and a hole for the nib bit near the bottom, then fill with small stones or something that will weigh it down and the bottle will slip in and voila! :):thumb:

They won't run in a straight line on those things as they're always trying to run to the top :lol: I think it looks hilarious but they're fine :D

Sand bath wise, you could always section a corner off and fill it with sand so it's just one big one rather than 2 smaller ones? :)

Edit: Took some pictures of a bottle holder I made :) The nib bit doesn't stick out as much as others I have made previously but I find this works better as it's more upright but my ones before have worked fine :) Just shoved a bit of folded tissue behind it :D

Nice bit of Daniel Craig there too :love: :lol:

IMAG1742.jpg

IMAG1741.jpg

IMAG1743.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys they are kinda cute ;)

Ooo it's great that I can use shredded paper as I have a nearly limitless and free supply of the cross cut stuff :thumb:

I do feel like a bad mummy tho as they aren't named, well I have picked names but I won't decide which one is which until I can tell them apart :oops: in my defence they have spent almost the entire time under their carefresh, only coming out quickly to grab food and then run back again. Now they are in a bigger cage they seem to be ignoring the carefresh so I may actually get a chance to get to know them!:thumb:

Oo clever bottle holding device!!!

Very clever bottle holding idea! :D xx

You may have been told this already so feel free to ignore me! :p But dwarf hamsters are very, very prone to falling out and fall-outs can become very nasty very quickly. However; you have a great sized hamster home there! Zoozones are great hammy homes.

They are lovely little critters. :love:

I've thoroughly enjoyed all the hammies I've had. I did keep a trio of dwarfies (they'd been at the Rspca for a whole year!) and they lived together to the end with no problems whatsoever so it most certainly can be done! :D

Very clever bottle holding idea! :D xx

You may have been told this already so feel free to ignore me! :p But dwarf hamsters are very, very prone to falling out and fall-outs can become very nasty very quickly. However; you have a great sized hamster home there! Zoozones are great hammy homes.

They are lovely little critters. :love:

I've thoroughly enjoyed all the hammies I've had. I did keep a trio of dwarfies (they'd been at the Rspca for a whole year!) and they lived together to the end with no problems whatsoever so it most certainly can be done! :D

I know, I've never kept more than 1 before so its a bit daunting but they have loads of space, 3 of everything and I have plenty of storage crates to make bin cages in need be! They are 7 months old and so far have lived together and I suspect that the people who gave them back to p@h didn't do those things and in p@h they were in one of those tiny glass fronted things with 1 water bottle, one little house and one food bowl :roll:

I really hope they don't fall out!

I love watching them, they are a little nervous to handle, I don't think they have been handled all that much really :(

Lovely setup, and gorgeous hams :love:

Are the flying saucers the mini ones? Unfortunately I think they are too small for anything but robos, you might be better off with medium ones, or medium Silent Spinners fit hybrids I think :) they often come up second hand on ebay for pennies.

What a great setup, and they are so cute! The only thing is if those are the small saucers, I don't think they will work too well. I don't think they are even big enough for robos, so you might need a size up. But see how you get on anyway :)

I would try the 6.5inch silent spinners if you need new wheels :D Phoebe is fine on her flying saucer and uses it more than the wheel (she doesn't half get up to some speed on that thing though :shock::lol:) her flying saucer is 6.5 inches, what are yours? :)

I think on eBay those silent spinners are £6ish :D or maybe a wodent wheel? They're pretty good :D

Last edited:
Do you mean the 6.5inch Silent Spinners? They don't make 8 inch ones as far as I know, would be great if they did!

Yes! :lol: apologies, I write it so much I confuse myself with sizes :lol: I'll edit my post :lol: I think it's because I was thinking "I think they make 8inch wodent wheels.." I know they have a wider range of sizes anyway.

Back