• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help... i cant decide!

luna

Mama Doe
Hi all,

As some of you know, I am looking for a female rabbit to bond with my almost 6 month old neutered boy Bobby. My plan was to rescue an already neutered doe because I would like to start the bonding process straight away really and not have to wait for a baby to grow up and get fixed etc. So i went to my local SPCA here in Dublin and there were 2 doe's. I instantly fell inlove with one of them. She is a harlequin dutch and she looked really sweet and quite similar to my blue dutch Poppy. So feeling really excited I went to enquire and the guy who looks after small animals pretty much told me she could be any age and they had no history for her only that she was found and brought in and neutered. This panicked me abit as I really like to know the age of my buns and if she is old I doubt her tolerance for my super energetic lionlop will be great. I could be wrong.

So I left that day feeling pretty disappointed and I have been thinking about this little girl ever since and have even named her Rosie in my head. I have been online every day checking to see if anyone is looking to re-home female bunnies because I would be willing to pay for the neuter straight away but most rabbits that are being re-homed are male. So lastnight I saw an ad for a really adorable little lionhead and I am going to see her on Sunday but my only reservation about this is trying to keep both her and bobby seperate for the next few months until she gets neutered and the idea of it has me kind of stressed out.

My other option and I think it could be my best bet is to go to a small animal rescue outside of Dublin where they have a few little does at the mo ranging in age from 4months to 18 months that i only heard about yest after I had reserved the baby lionhead.

Im so confused as to what road to go down. I really like Rosie but would it always be at the back of my mind that she is old and my time with her will be short lived.

Here is a link to the picture of the neutered girl in the DSPCA:

http://www.dspca.ie/cat_animals_need_homes_detail.jsp?itemID=3717&n=149&p=105

Here is a pic of the gorgeous little lionhead girl:

http://www.gumtree.ie/cp-other-pets-in-dublin/baby-lionhead-rabbit-425602865

Thanks in advance for reading this and sorry if im not making much sense. My head is in a muddle over what to do. Its full of bunnies.. he he:D

Last edited:
I would go for the first as the one on gum tree is from a breeder and the first is super cute, rabbits are more tolerant with age Yuki was 3 years older than yuri and the were inseparable
If another thing you are worrying about is the bun not having many years left I think even if that's true it would be a very happy life with you and your bun

I agree I would go with the rescue bunny as you know they have been health checked etc. If you get from a breeder you are not only encouraging them to breed more bunnies but they sometimes have health problems and are reluctant to help with anything afterwards. Obviously its your choice though but they are both lovely bunnies.

I would go for the first one: you fell in love with her and have even named her!:love:

As she is neutered you will be able to bond straight away.

I wouldn't be worried about her age - you already love her, and will give her a lovely, happy home.

Oh thanks guys. i think ye have all given me the nudge in the right direction that i needed. It really does feel that my heart made the decision that day and my mind has needed a few days to catch up. iv tried ringing the shelter but cant get through so I am getting ready to head out to the car with my carrier box now. Oh please please let Rosie still be there. I will be kicking myself if she is not. Will let ye all know how i get on. Thanks a mill:thumb:

I think that Rosie has already snuck into your heart :D and I can see why, she is very very pretty. I would forget what your head is saying about her age, the most important thing is that you are able to offer her a wonderful home however long or short that may be.

If you are worried about her keeping up with your boy, you may well find that her personality when she is in a forever home is different to that at the DSPCA. Before my Spring came to live with Gabriel she was a very very quiet bun with little interest in being active. Now she is with Gabe and has more space she is completely different and is enjoying life so much.

It thrills me to bits that Spring has had the opportunity to blossom - I can't thing of anything more rewarding than to make a difference to a rescued bunny's life :D

Edited, to say I have just seen the above. Fingers crossed for you :D

I agree...do not worry about her age, she needs your love for as long as she is with you. I don't know how old my poppy and pebbles are...I just treasure them and know that they are living a much happier life than when they were cooped up in a 3ft cage/hutch with no attention. Pebbles would have died if I hadn't taken him (he had a massive abdominal tumor).

Hi Everyone,

Great news. We adopted Rosie and she is home with us now. Because I had to run out the door so quick I had to get everything organised for her after we got in so we have put her carrier in her c&c cage and are waiting for her to come out now.Iv a feeling we could be waiting a while as she seems quite nervous in her new surroundings. She may never have seen the inside of a house before and it might be a lot for her to adjust to. She is so lovely. I have a feeling she is going to have a sweet nature, and fingers crossed Bobby is going to like his new lady friend. I will be posting in the bonding session about how they are getting on.

Thanks for all getting behind me. I really appreciate all the support and am so so happy. Yay :love:

Hi Everyone,

Great news. We adopted Rosie and she is home with us now. Because I had to run out the door so quick I had to get everything organised for her after we got in so we have put her carrier in her c&c cage and are waiting for her to come out now.Iv a feeling we could be waiting a while as she seems quite nervous in her new surroundings. She may never have seen the inside of a house before and it might be a lot for her to adjust to. She is so lovely. I have a feeling she is going to have a sweet nature, and fingers crossed Bobby is going to like his new lady friend. I will be posting in the bonding session about how they are getting on.

Thanks for all getting behind me. I really appreciate all the support and am so so happy. Yay :love:

Yay congrats

Yeah each bunny is different some bound out straight away some take time others are very timid and shy

:love::love::love: Awwww she is really sweet.

I have had 3 bunnies and never known their real ages. Two were only about a year either way. With Cutie-pie we have no real idea at all. Was guessed at 5 when we got her from a rescue. She is coming up to 7 in a few months.

Back