• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

safe litter to use in litter tray?

I use newspaper with a layer of straw and then a pile a bit of hay at one end for them to eat. I also have a hay rack above the litter tray so it encourages them to eat and poop in the tray.

I haven't but I know pine isn't to good for bunnies as when they wee on it it realeases some sort of toxins from the pine. It is speculated though and I know some people use wooden cat litter in the bottom of litter trays. I use newspaper and straw because its quite cheap I get a bale of straw for £3 and it lasts me about a month. I expect the wooden litter is more absorbant though.

I used to use something similar to that, the wooden cat litter pellets, but I found it expensive, heavy to carry and had to go some way to get hold of it. Now I just use newspaper and hay, makes life easier as I can just tip out the hay and poops to go on the compost heap and peal off the newspaper with goes out with the rubbish.

If you have the space to store it Megazorb is excellent, safe and cheap. If you have less space Carefresh is excellent but works out quite expensive if you need lots of it.

Back