• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teasels on her way out.

For the past week I have watched Teasel [12] and even I as much as I hate this have to admit she has utterly lost the plot.
She does not seem to know where she is, she is trying to eat none food items and ignores food, or starts to eat then gets a glazed over expression forgets about food and sleeps at all sorts of weird times. She knew her name now she does not and she is not too sure who I am. If I put her on the carpet she does not know she is in the same room as her indoor base. Up until this week she has always been a fastinciously clean rabbit but this week I have been the one who has had to clean her- it may be the end of the year but fly strike is still possible. Her sore hip joints make bum washes increadibly painful no matter how careful I am. She has lost weight this week and the metacam she has for her artritisis no longer gives her a boing in her step to go off grumble and rummage for food. Even her fave treats do not bring her any real joy anymore.

The biggest dilemma has been knowing how horrendous death will be for her from her refussing food and starving herself to death. Doodee used up all my emergency vet funds so I know I have not the financial back up to pull on over the weekend and I know there is no cure for all the problems of extreme old age in a rabbit. My instincts tell me this is one rabbit who had more than enough of living at the start of the week. Kept her on her pain meds and warm and comfy but she is just fading.

She is not in stasis it is just she no longer seems to know what food is and she will be if I leave this much longer. I have had her for 10 years and she has cost me God alone knows what in vet fees from cancer surgery , serious scrapping with other rabbits and her run in with Myxi. I have booked her a one way trip to the vets for later this morning rather than see her begin to really suffer over this comming weekend.
I think my husbands more upset about this than me- and Teasel only ever bit him evry time she could get near him.

This is not fair. That will be the second of my rabbits needing to be humanely killed by the vet in the same month. :cry:

Really sad to see a much-loved bun in this state. It sounds as if she's not enjoying life, and also as if the situation won't improve, which really gives you only one choice. :cry::cry::cry:

I am so so sorry :( It sounds like you have made the right decision for her, even though it is a heartbreaking one for you :cry:

Vibes for a peaceful passing xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The vet concurred after seeing her- everything pointed towards advanced senility and it would only get worse.
Her risk of developing fly strike and stasis as an hardly moving elderly rabbit even as a house rabbit was too real in the condition she was in.
The vet sedated her before she was put to sleep.

Teasel simply relaxed and drifted off on a hefty cloud of drugs.

I am upset but it was the right decision to make for her.
I just wish this had not come so quickly on the heels of having to have Doodee put to sleep.

Aww so sorry but at least she won't suffer anymore and I think its always best to PTS rather than wait for suffering. RIP Teasel x

:cry: I'm so sorry :( I know how much your bunnies mean to you, both Teasel and Doodee have had fantastic lives with you and your family. Sending hugs xx

I'm so sorry, it must be so hard to have to make that kind of decision, I really feel for you and your partner. Xx

i'm sorry. how heartbreaking for you. but you know you did the best thing for teasel, under her difficult circumstances.

Thank you, the past two weeks have truly sucked as far as caring for the rabbits goes. I presummed Teasel as the eldest would go way before Doodee ever did.

Pumpkin is wondering round the house still looking for both of them and I have not had the heart to fully clean out Teasels cage just yet.

Back