• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh no - there fighting :(

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Don't know what to do :(
They have been chasing each other round the dining room table, fur flying, nothing to nasty I wouldn't say.
This has come out of no where! Can't think of anything that could have set them off!
Bear seems stressed picked him up to check he was ok an his heart was racing and now hes lying down.
Alice seems ok apart from a bit of fur missing now!
Got a long day at work tomorrow and terrified to leave them unsupervised but at the same time I don't want to separate them!
Seems to have calmed down now....

Has it happened before? Anything changed at home?

Binky and Bailey sometimes have random 'tiffs' - a few days where they are niggly with each other, and then are fine again. Not sure why - maybe the weather? The dark nights etc.? Sure rabbits are more in tune with these things than we are!

Possible things it could be -
1. I put a new Hayrack in yesterday which meaned I needed to change the layout of their crate
2. They have more room as now free ranging the whole of downstairs and have become territorial (although not sure about this as been 2 weeks like this now seems strange to start now)
3. Alice hasn't given up on being the dominant one, she showed referred agression at the boarders and very occasionally will hump Bear
4. Could it be linked to there stay at the boarders? Like I said they showed referred agression, they have been home 8 days now though with no problems till now

It's almost like they have gone back to day 1 of bonding them again! There's nothing to nasty happening just lots of chasing and Bear is raising his tail. Can he still spray at all now he has been neutered? As our dining room now smells of that strong male rabbit sweaty kind of smell.

I guess it could be anyone of those factors - or a mixture of all of them.

Perhaps try reducing their space a bit until they chill out a bit?

I've confined them th their crate, it seemed to be mostly chasing so they will have a job in there!
Seems much better already there sat next to each other eating hay as if nothing has happened!
Making up a bed on the sofa, ergh, dreading leaving them for work all day tomorrow :(

I've confined them th their crate, it seemed to be mostly chasing so they will have a job in there!
Seems much better already there sat next to each other eating hay as if nothing has happened!
Making up a bed on the sofa, ergh, dreading leaving them for work all day tomorrow :(

Try not to worry too much. I know my girls can be a real pair of *****s sometimes lol - just 2 women together all the time will squabble - guess it is the same with rabbits haha!

bailey can be right nasty to angel when he smells parsley or willow.
also when he felt he wasn't getting enough attention he started chasing her and pulled out a mega amount if fur on her wee bum, was a big scab coz of the amount.
We had to reduce their space, wash our hands after handling other buns. And also move them from the kitchen to our bedroom where he seems to feel he gets more attention.
A little car journey in the pet carrier will help as well, just a tiny bit of rebonding is needed I think xx

Just woke up, they have been fine all night!
Hopefully it will be a one off but not going to take any chances. Going to keep them confined again today and start re bonding the weekend as luckily I'm off work.

My two girls were good together until I realized one was more aggressive and the other wasnt. I left them together for awhile while one would chase the other in the cage. When this got too much, I seperated them. They were in my mind no longer just annoying each other but actually fighting. I couldn't get a second cage as large as the first, so I switch around who gets which cage. Ultimately I would like the two girls to be back together. While out, they run around without too much trouble, although the calm one will run away without even any intimidation from the other. YET, she will approach the aggressive one now and then, share food and even groom. I can't figure them out! but I am pretty sure at this point they cant be together anymore which saddens me. I have noticed that the aggressive one is much nicer to me when in the smaller cage, I can put my hand in, change the water, add food etc with no problem but when she is in the bigger cage she grunts at me and is protective if I try to do something in the cage. Can anyone decifer what is going on with her and with both of them?

It sounds to me like it could have just been an unfortunate mixture of all those events all happening at a similar time which has set them off. I would reduce their space again and treat them like a newly-bonded pair, slowly increasing their space again as they continue to behave themselves. Hopefully there won't be anything more to it than that. It is always worth bearing in mind that this can occasionally happen if one of them is poorly, so sudden and unexpected aggression in a normally happy established pair should also warrant a vet visit for both buns (sometimes one is aggressive because it is in pain/poorly, sometimes they sense the other one is poorly and turn aggressive on them, so they both need checking).

Daisyduke - are your bunnies spayed? The most common cause of the behaviour you describe is unspayed females being together - it's very common when they reach sexual maturity and/or have a sudden change in environment for them to lose their bond. Grunting and attacking intruders to their cage is also extremely common in unspayed does as their natural instinct is to protect their "nest". If they are unspayed, I would advise keeping them separate for now, getting them both done and then attempting to rebond (this would need to be on completely neutral territory that neither of them have been in before) 6-8 weeks after spaying. Good luck x

Back