• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom pregnancy ... probably?

CwningenBach

Warren Scout
Hello

Sad news - our Navi is booked in for her spay on Oct 29th. Tonight we have come home to find her pulling her fur out and putting it in one corner of her house. What do we do? Sherlock is neutered so she cannot possibly be pregnant.

Do we let her do it? Spay OK to go ahead on Monday?

She seems to be pulling fur from her chest but also leg and her back a bit too. Is that normal? She is also doing it fairly constantly.

:(

I know :( She's booked in for Monday. Whilst she's having this possible phantom, is it OK to have her done on Monday? Should she be done even before that?

I know buns go through this all the time but do I need to worry about her choking on the fur or anything? Be mindful? I'm very worried because she'll be on her own tomorrow and it's very, very difficult to get time off (teacher) Argh argh argh!

Personally I'd keep the appointment on Monday. It will mean you can monitor her much more closely (half term?) and the normal vets will be open to answer queries if you're concerned about her recovery (emergency vets are very hit and miss in my experience). If she's nesting she's probably not swallowing the hair, although it's not a situation you want to prolong.

Hopefully others will be along soon to advise... :wave:

Personally I'd keep the appointment on Monday. It will mean you can monitor her much more closely (half term?) and the normal vets will be open to answer queries if you're concerned about her recovery (emergency vets are very hit and miss in my experience). If she's nesting she's probably not swallowing the hair, although it's not a situation you want to prolong.

Hopefully others will be along soon to advise... :wave:

Yep, we booked it for Monday so I can be with her all week :) My little bun. Argh.

Just spoke with the emergency vet. He said this is normal (and unfortunate) but shows she is definitely ready to be spayed, to keep the appointment on Monday and let our usual vet know tomorrow just so they're aware before Monday.

Thank you very much. We'll separate Sherlock and put him in a temporary house next to Navi's. Food, water and hay (she's collecting hay at the moment, bless her) and watch her very closely. Is there anything else we can do or just wait it out?

I wish we didn't always meet under these circumstances... !

Ah it's always nerve-racking.... Can you give her any apple branches etc to chew (supervised) to distract her? :wave:

I personally would be watching to see what form her phantom takes. If it is over and done with tomorrow, then no harm in having her done on Monday, but if she starts lactating and stuff then I personally would be reconsidering.

You don't need to do anything, just supply her with a lot of hay and let her get on with it, When she is done she will dessimate the nest herself.

Also, how long have her and Sherlock been bonded and when was he neutered?

Ah it's always nerve-racking.... Can you give her any apple branches etc to chew (supervised) to distract her? :wave:

Not well equipped with branches (live in the city centre and I dread to think what poxyness the local trees would have sprayed on them!) but we do have some chew sticks that she might like to attack actually. I haven't given them those for a while. I'll stick one in :) She is eating her Science Selective now and gratefully accepted some basil just a moment ago too. Sherlock reminds me of my brother in law when my sister was in labour... poor bun!

I personally would be watching to see what form her phantom takes. If it is over and done with tomorrow, then no harm in having her done on Monday, but if she starts lactating and stuff then I personally would be reconsidering.

You don't need to do anything, just supply her with a lot of hay and let her get on with it, When she is done she will dessimate the nest herself.

Also, how long have her and Sherlock been bonded and when was he neutered?

Will we know the pregnancy is over when she destroys the nest and until that happens, assume it's still ongoing? I have no reservations about cancelling the spay if it's for the best, I just want to get it right for her.

They have been friends since April and Sherlock was neutered back in February. Poor thing.

Will we know the pregnancy is over when she destroys the nest and until that happens, assume it's still ongoing? I have no reservations about cancelling the spay if it's for the best, I just want to get it right for her.

They have been friends since April and Sherlock was neutered back in February. Poor thing.

Good stuff. No risk of her being pregnant then.

Yes, she will just destroy the nest, or stop paying attention to it when she is done. That could take as little as an hour or so, or as much as a couple of weeks if she is going the whole hog.

Good stuff. No risk of her being pregnant then.

Yes, she will just destroy the nest, or stop paying attention to it when she is done. That could take as little as an hour or so, or as much as a couple of weeks if she is going the whole hog.

Nah, definitely not pregnant. I remember learning here that buns can stay "armed" for many weeks after the chop.

We'll keep a very close eye on her over the next few days and decide whether or not to go ahead with it on Monday. She has proved to be a very resilient little bunny so hopefully she'll snap out of it soon.

Navi seems to be herself again today. No pulling, new no fur or anything like that in her house. Phew.

She did, however, try to mount Sherlock last night (on his head!) which is something she has /never/ done before. So we're keeping them separate until she is spayed on Tuesday. I spoke with the vet today and he suggested to just give her a few days to get over it and do the spay on Tuesday instead of Monday. Makes little difference I suppose but better safe than sorry.

Poor bun. Thank you all so much for your advice so far.

Bless her. Now that they are separate you're going to have to wait 6-8 weeks post spay to rebond, so do be aware of that.

Bless her. Now that they are separate you're going to have to wait 6-8 weeks post spay to rebond, so do be aware of that.

We're keeping them side by side and separate free range time - however, I did think it'd be around 4 weeks so 6-8 isn't much of a leap. Thanks. :)

Back