• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dunstable Rabbits (U/D NOW SAFE)

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Have been asked to help with a situation today by someone in the Dunstable area of Beds. (strangely the RWAF gave my details for someone to contact despite me living in Surrey!! and them not supposed to have my rescue phone number on their lists) but now I have spoken the individual I am inclined to try and assist in some way.

Can you tell me if there are any reputable rescues (preferably rabbit specific due to nature of bunnies involved) in that area with a no kill policy please?

Alternatively anyone in the immediate area who is an experience rabbit handler that can assist me with a neglect situation for two bunnies?

Please don't try and PM me on here but e-mail on therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk if you can help.

Thank you.

Last edited:
There's a rescue centre in Bedford you could try?

Small Mammals: Hazel: . . 01234 357788

I volunteer at a sanctuary in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire that would take him in. They should have room. See link at bottom of my page.

I could pick him up from Dunstable tomorrow if you would like, I can also see if they will take the bun in if you would like. Can you provide more info, how many buns are there, why are they being rescued, etc,

Last edited:
I volunteer at a sanctuary in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire that would take him in. They should have room. See link at bottom of my page.

I could pick him up from Dunstable tomorrow if you would like, I can also see if they will take the bun in if you would like. Can you provide more info, how many buns are there, why are they being rescued, etc,

Thank you but it's not for a 'he' and I am really hoping for a rescue that is rabbit specific and mega rabbity experienced and ideally one that neuters (both sexes) and vaccinates for both Myxo/VHD.

I shall bare them in mind though - thank you for posting

Do you know the name of it and is it a rabbit specific non kill rescue do you know?

Sorry, no it's not rabbit specific but the ladies number I gave handles rabbits and guinea pigs - they are no kill and the organisation is called RATS(rescue animals telephone service) I don't know how experienced she is having only heard of them through a friend but they are on the rabbit rehome site.

If you need an experienced rabbit person I'd imagine Caroline at rabbit residence would take them, despite already being a bit swamped. I could ask her if you like, she's in Herts but regularly travels to collect buns

No problem. Does she have special needs?

Although they don't spay the do get Mixi and VHD vacs. Let me know if you don't have any luck elsewhere. :thumb:

Could you ask the Blue Cross Hertfordshire as they serve Bedfordshire and have a no destruct policy if I am correct. The Burford one is always very helpful in these situations.

Sorry, no it's not rabbit specific but the ladies number I gave handles rabbits and guinea pigs - they are no kill and the organisation is called RATS(rescue animals telephone service) I don't know how experienced she is having only heard of them through a friend but they are on the rabbit rehome site.

If you need an experienced rabbit person I'd imagine Caroline at rabbit residence would take them, despite already being a bit swamped. I could ask her if you like, she's in Herts but regularly travels to collect buns

Thank you for that. I'll bare that in mind.

I don't think I'd want to land Caroline with any more just at the moment, specifically as these two may prove pretty unhomeable (they'd need to be assessed) and don't want to 'block any beds' at hers if I can help it.

Again, I will bare her in mind.

Thank you for posting.

No problem. Does she have special needs?

Although they don't spay the do get Mixi and VHD vacs. Let me know if you don't have any luck elsewhere. :thumb:

I believe so. Shame they don't spay as they can't know what happens to female bunnies when they leave their care. :(

Dunstable is only two miles from us, we can be there in five minutes if that is any help :wave:

Also helicopter Ears is an amazing rescue based in Dunstable they are on FB.

Just let me know if I can help we have empty hutches at the moment which we can use in an emergency until bunnies find a rescue.

Please don't use Hula, they don't neuter vaccinate or home check

Dunstable is only two miles from us, we can be there in five minutes if that is any help :wave:

Also helicopter Ears is an amazing rescue based in Dunstable they are on FB.

Just let me know if I can help we have empty hutches at the moment which we can use in an emergency until bunnies find a rescue.

Please don't use Hula, they don't neuter vaccinate or home check

Thanks Liz. Will message you.

I believe so. Shame they don't spay as they can't know what happens to female bunnies when they leave their care. :(

It is a shame, I think i will speak to them about this, as like you said you dont know what happens to them. And obviously the spay is not just to stop them getting pregnant. I will be there on Sat so will find out.

I am glad you have found somewhere now. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
It is a shame, I think i will speak to them about this, as like you said you dont know what happens to them. And obviously the spay is not just to stop them getting pregnant. I will be there on Sat so will find out.

I am glad you have found somewhere now. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thank you - it would be good to have a discussion with them - it would set such a good example to owners if the rabbits were spayed. It would also prevent more bunnies suffering from cancers and having babbys.

Steve has gone to collect them this morning and I am now about to make a hutch up for them, so they will be safe and warm in the next hour :D

Back