• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do people not listen???

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
A few years back a new mother and daughter moved into the culdesac I live in 2 doors away,

It became quite clear she was an avid animal lady, with cats, dogs, chinchillas, degus and then she clocked on to the rabbits we have,
At the time we had the litter of buns that my 'friend' handed to me because she was going on holiday,

She took 2 on,
In all now, she has had 12 buns off us,
Everything seemed to be going really well, they were in brand new hutches to size,
had everything they needed, if she ever wasnt sure she would pop over,

One day she stopped mum on the way in and 2 of the buns she had from us had passes away, now this litter were left with no mum from 4 weeks and a few of the others had passed also,
She then 'LOST' 2 in the garden, and just said 'if you see them, erm, their mine' she managed to find one, but the other, was one from the litter she first took, dwarf lops, so not small,

After we lost a few buns to myxo we warned her about it, advised on the best way to prevent (vacc, citronella, keep clean etc) she pulled us up last week and said one of the buns was snotty, swollen eyes and ears, mum advised to move rabbit away from all other buns, do not touch her then other etc etc, and to check her genitals, but advised it was most likely myxo and to take her to the vets,
She tried to self treat, ignored our advise, a delivery came here for her, so i popped it over and she asked me to come in, AND LOOK AT THE BUN!!
There sitting in the bottom of the chinchilla cage was a little nethie in a chinchilla box, eyes swollen shut, runny nose, swollen ears and face.

Said to her as nice as I could, 'Im not being rude, but im not touching her, I dont need to, its Myxo and she needs to go to the vet, at the stage she is at, she needs to be pts, she wont survive being self treated, and she will suffer a horrible slow painful death'
She took my advise and booked bun at the vets, and she was pts on vets advise,

She spoke to mum and said another 2 have it, I suspect she didnt take our advise about cleanliness, disinfecting etc,
She has also left these ill, until she text me yesterday morning and asked for my vets details as now 1/2 her bunnies have myxo symptoms, I texted her last night and she 'hadnt got round to phoning them yet'

I feel like im banging my head against a brick wall,

I have tried explaining in the most kind way possible how horrible myxo is, what it does to the bun and chances of survival etc.

I guess she will probably lose all the buns if she doesnt do something about it, which is gutting as most of them were rescue buns, or buns that we have watched grow from the day they were born,

I even allowed a bun I so wanted to keep go to her as she was only over the road I could visit him when I liked,

Never again will I allow one of our buns go to her, not because she doesnt care for them, but because the lack of urgency, If one of my buns went missing from my garden id be jumping fences to find it, and wouldnt give up until we had, and every bun we have found to have myxo has gone to the vets almost instantly.

Sorry just needed to vent

TBH I think this is a situation that needs reporting to the RSPCA.
Leaving any animal in pain & distress & not seeking vet treatment is a criminal act.
She is also putting your buns & other neighbouring buns at risk.
I strongly urge you to take this further difficult as this may be.

Poor little buns. I know you say it's not that she doesn't care for them, but surely if you have a rabbit that is clearly so poorly you get it to a vet ASAP? And to have been told that the symptoms some of her others have could be the same thing and to not rush THEM to a vet? I don't get it!

Ive messaged her this morning to see if she has taken them in,
If she hasnt, I'll go and see her and tell her that she is making them suffer, even if its a case of money, (which is why I told her to go to my vets) they will set you up an account (we always pay upfront, but its nice to have to option in an emergency) although I very much doubt it, she's always spending out on things, has just brought 2 brand new bun hutches and chinchilla cages,

We are being nice as she not long gone through a nasty divorce and has severe arthritis of the spine, No excuse I know, but don't want to go all guns blazing,

Saying about putting our buns at risk, Mum is fuming about the whole thing, they are 2 doors away but we are semi detached the last houses on end of a culdesac, and the next houses go at a right angle to us, we have laced the whole area with citronella, and I have been washing the floors due to the wet weather mud etc

There is a bun next door too, her daughter visits their too, Ive never seen the bun, but mum says its a black bun, who would also be at risk, a garden that backs on to them have 2 buns, thats the only buns I know of close to her, but there are gardens that back onto hers which could well have buns

I really don't know how people can be so unthoughtful

I was worried the other day because Patches hadn't eaten any hay from his rack at all that day, was even gonna ring the vet until i spoke to the misses and she was back at lunch and filled it up before i got home from work.....

TBH I think this is a situation that needs reporting to the RSPCA.
Leaving any animal in pain & distress & not seeking vet treatment is a criminal act.
She is also putting your buns & other neighbouring buns at risk.
I strongly urge you to take this further difficult as this may be.

absolute agreement.

Back