• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scanning or something else? Neurological? Another Grim problem

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Grimlock is doing really well. His eyes have all cleared up and although his nose is still a little runny he's not having the trouble breathing that he did before. But now I've noticed something else.

When he sits still with his head up it slowly moves to the right. It looks like he's scanning and he is blind or nearly blind so that makes sense. However he's started to sit with his head against a wall or cupboard or something. He was also jerking his head back to a central position and it kept on slowly moving right again.

Any ideas?

I won't be surprised if it's neurological and the infection has spread to his brain. :( I also hope it's not EC, but it's not a head tilt, it's just like scanning. If it's scanning it's fine, his eyes are clear of infection now so maybe he's seeing something through them?

I would personally think that was more likely to be EC or a neurological problems rather than scanning. I've found that my buns tend to scan by bobbing their heads up and down, not side to side. I have a bun who is blind in one eye and partially sighted in the other one and she has never done this.

I hope Grim is ok, he is a lovely lad. Hopefully it is just his way of scanning. x

Thank you.

I'm going to take him up to the vets on Saturday if it doesn't clear up by then.

This sounds very like what Truffle was doing when she had E.C. a couple of months ago - she started with moving her head to the side, and then circling, then falling over.....

How is he doing now?

He's stressed I think. He's breathing faster and I think the whole thing is scaring him a bit. :?

I'll try and upload the video I took but you can't really see it all on the video. I really think it's EC. But then I don't know what to do if it is. Do I try and fight through that with him or is it just too much? It might be he his ear with the whole nasal infection spreading, it could even be his brain.

And to top it all off I accidentally threw my only 1ml syringe away and now I have nothing to get the metacam out with. I'll have to pour it into something else and use a 2ml one.

:( poor Grim. I don't know what to do for the best. I whisked Truffle straight off to the vets, and they gave her a steroid injection to take the swelling down and kept her in overnight. I really think that helped. Although wouldn't metacam have a similar effect? She obviously Panacur also - for 28 days!

There wasn't anything else wrong with Truffle though - I would have no idea what to do where there are other issues also - I'd be relying on a combination of my vet and the much more knowledgeable people on here!

I don't know if he'd take the panacur. You have to do it on a spatula thing don't you? He gets really stressed with people going near his eyes, nose and mouth due to the infection.

I wish I just imagined it! But he's still moving his head over to the right all the time. It's got to be EC, it's such a :censored: because he has everything. He doesn't deserve it, no rabbit deserves to be ill but he's just had everything. I always said if he got myxi I wouldn't put him through fighting it. But I never even thought about EC. :?

Something I read somewhere about the beginnings of head tilt described these symptoms. Mimzy was leaning on walls and water bottles and then began circling.

God, Jen, I pray it's not...praying so hard. :cry:
I gave Mimzy a liquid panacur (called Safeguard here in the U.S.) it's a 10% fenbendazole solution. He didn't fight me much at all but he's only deaf.

All my thoughts are with you. He needs evaluation and treatment begun quickly if he's not already...a friend of mine had her bun develop head tilt while at the vet for stasis and they nipped it in the bud.

Really, really strong protection and healing vibes for Grim. God Bless him. xx
((((((((((((Huge hugs for you)))))))))))))

((((( Hugs)))))

It doesn't sound good hun. Everything possible crossed for the dear little boy. Please keep us updated.

Oh bless his heart. I am wondering rather than ec if the infection has spread inside his head and he has abscesses in there. Either way it sounds really scary for him

Thinking of you both xx

I don't know if he'd take the panacur. You have to do it on a spatula thing don't you? He gets really stressed with people going near his eyes, nose and mouth due to the infection.

I wish I just imagined it! But he's still moving his head over to the right all the time. It's got to be EC, it's such a :censored: because he has everything. He doesn't deserve it, no rabbit deserves to be ill but he's just had everything. I always said if he got myxi I wouldn't put him through fighting it. But I never even thought about EC. :?

No spatula for the Panacur. It comes in a syringe, but I gave it to mine sandwiched between lemon balm leaves.

Poor Grim :cry:

Personally I think bacterial infection effecting his central nervous system is possibly more likely than EC. Also, there is no real evidence that Panacur has any effect with regards to CNS symptoms relating to EC.

Could any of the new meds he has recently started have CNS symptoms as adverse side effects ? Especially if the drug is the type to accumulate in the body ?

He's just back on metronidazole which he's ben on before. The only new thing is pro biotics. :? He's also on penicillin, septrin and metacam and being nebilised f10 and a decongestant I can't remember the name of.

I don't know if any of those build up.

The thought of an abscess I'm his brain makes me want to cry. :(

((((((((((((((Jenova)))))))))))))))))))

Here's a thought...
When Mimzy began displaying symptoms of his illness (which was presumed to be a bad ear infection, never confirmed E.C.) he'd just started a ranitidine regimen because I feared his metacam was eroding his stomach. (Didn't realize at the time he wasn't taking enough for that.)
No one told me to space his metacam apart from the ranitidine. The longer he was on the ranitidine the less effective the metacam got till I think his inner ear began to swell with infection and then he started tilting. It only took a few days of the new drug for it to interfere with his daily antii-imflammatory.
Could one of the meds Grim is on be interfering with the effectiveness of another and thus giving him no benefit of either...hence exacerbation of symptoms?

I could be way off, and I probably am, but wanted to throw that out there for consideration. I just find that Mimzy did better after I dropped his stomach med and upped his metacam to a more therapeutic dose, thanks to Jane's advice. :)

Doubling up vibes and prayers for Grim. I really hope this is something that can be easily sorted. ((((((((((((((((More hugs)))))))))))))))))

Back