• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit syphilis

snuffle_munch

Warren Scout
Hello :wave:

I was just wondering if any one could help me. I have just recused a 2 year old Netherland dewarf we have had her about 3 months and she had just been diagnosed with Rabbit Syphilis. Our vet has said she will need one jag every week for 3 weeks. I was just wondering if any one could tell me how much this is going to cost. Not that is a problem what ever the amount it was just because the Vets couldnt tell me which is slightly working.

Many Thanks :D

All Vets set there own fees. But the injections will be a Penicillin which is relatively cheap.

A 300ml bottle costs less than £10

http://www.myvetmeds.co.uk/depocillin-injection-300mg-ml.htm

Your Doe would only need about 0.2ml for each injection

Your Vet is unlikely to charge a consultation fee for EVERY injection, so I would be surprised if the full course of treatment cost more that £20 + the initial consultation fee.

Thank you Jacks-Jane :D

Just out of curiosity have any of your rabbits had this and if so how did the cope with the injections. Ive read up about it on line and im getting mixed review about it. Would just like to hear from someone who had this propblem before.

Thank you again for your help

Thank you Jacks-Jane :D

Just out of curiosity have any of your rabbits had this and if so how did the cope with the injections. Ive read up about it on line and im getting mixed review about it. Would just like to hear from someone who had this propblem before.

Thank you again for your help

Yes, I have had a couple of Rabbits with the same problem. They responded very well to treatment with no adverse side effects at all. They both made a full recovery and they did not have any relapses throughout the remainder of their lives :)

My eldest (now 5 years old) had this for 2 years due to vets misdiagnosing. Thankfully I found an amazing rabbit savvy vet earlier this year and it's all gone =) He had 4 injections over 4 weeks and it cost me £80 as I had to buy the full bottle and my vets suppliers didn't sell in smaller sizes. It cleared up after the third injection but the fourth was a precautionary measure. He had no problems with his digestion (this is always a worry) and never went off his food or water and was still as playful as ever =)

Hope your bun is ok =) oh and btw he's a nethie too lol

Thats has made me feel so much better to know your wee nethie was alright after the jags, thank you for letting me know. My wee girl (Boo) gets her first jag tonight so I will be keeping a close eye on her all night. The Vet stated that it will cost me £7 per jag anfd she is to get 4 so not to bad thatnk god. Thought Id pay anything to make sure she was alright :)

Boo is my first nethie. They are awesome and very playful she is so full of beans and is always running around the house :D

Back