• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not playing around

nickzsingh

New Kit
Hi guys girst post here :D

So i took Louis my neatherland dwarf rabbit to the vet yestrday to get his myxomatosis jab.....after coming back he was fine playing around jumping been the cheeky little rabbit he is.

However today i noticed that he just sitting in his cage not hopping around messing around. his just sat in his little tray or in one spot and not moving much unless you try to move him. when i took him out of the cage and put him on the sofa he ran back to his cage?

I also think he has snuffles however the vet said he doubt it and but gave him antibiotics however that was 4 weeks ago. so my question is could this be just a off day for my bunny or could there be a problem? really worried and upset im going to phone the bet first thing in the morning to see if there are any side affects for having the myxomatosis.

Any advice would be helpfull

Nickz

If it's his first jab then that can make them a bit docile as the stuff runs through their veins and their immune system finds it and reacts i.e. starts to make antibodies. I would think that this is normal as it's also normal for humans to react to jabs too - a lady was complaining that she felt "all achy and stiff" after having her flu jab, for example.

Personally I'd see what he's like in the morning and if you are still worried then get straight on to your vet.

Hi guys girst post here :D

So i took Louis my neatherland dwarf rabbit to the vet yestrday to get his myxomatosis jab.....after coming back he was fine playing around jumping been the cheeky little rabbit he is.

However today i noticed that he just sitting in his cage not hopping around messing around. his just sat in his little tray or in one spot and not moving much unless you try to move him. when i took him out of the cage and put him on the sofa he ran back to his cage?

I also think he has snuffles however the vet said he doubt it and but gave him antibiotics however that was 4 weeks ago. so my question is could this be just a off day for my bunny or could there be a problem? really worried and upset im going to phone the bet first thing in the morning to see if there are any side affects for having the myxomatosis.

Any advice would be helpfull

Nickz

How good a vet is it?

I ask because Hannibal had the snuffles. We went back time and time again. Each time for a couple of weeks of anti biotics. He would then come off the meds, a week later he'd have snuffles again. We switched and got a much better rabbit savvy vet however by then Han had head tilt. he nearly died. Was it because of pasturella? We'll never know 100% but doubt it helped. I'd ask around for a really rabbit savvy vet in your area. Check local forms etc.

hi guys its his second jab he got both the yearly jabs however this is his first myxomatosis jab and his only 10 months old roughly. He has stoped sneezing and seems to be fine otherwise jumping eating etc, just today he seems abit down.

I was reading a few threads on here and was told the goddard vet in tottenham was really good with rabbits.

hi guys its his second jab he got both the yearly jabs however this is his first myxomatosis jab and his only 10 months old roughly. He has stoped sneezing and seems to be fine otherwise jumping eating etc, just today he seems abit down.

I was reading a few threads on here and was told the goddard vet in tottenham was really good with rabbits.

Ok I am confused. What jabs has he had? Rabbits require vaccines against 2 diseases/virus's

VHD- Vaccinate once yearly with one of the following- Lapinject or Anivac. There is another vaccine on the market called cylap but I would

never advise to use it, side effects can be very serious

Myxomatosis- vaccinate twice yearly with Nobivac

They have recently released a combination vaccine, but a lot of us are hesitant on using it yet due to lack of data and testing, this states protection for a year.

I would say switching vets is your best bet.

Regarding your rabbit, ensure he keeps eating and producing pelets, if either of these change he needs to be seen urgently for treatment.

Hi his defo just had the Myxomatosis & the VHD. The vet did not use the combo vaccine. his defo eating perusual and drinking.

Living in North London would anyone be able to recommend me a vet?

The vaccine may cause a transient malaise which should fully resolve within 48 hours. Rather like what can happen to us if we have a Flu Jab, we can feel a bit 'Fluey' for a couple of days after our vaccination as our immune system reacts to the vaccine. It is important that your Rabbit continues to eat and drink, poo and wee. So if he stops doing so you do need to consult a Vet again. So Metacam, a non steroidal anti inflammatory, could be prescribed which should help him feel better.

Do let the Vet know what has happened as the Vet can record it on your Rabbit's clinical records. The Vet may consider prescribing a few days of Metacam for him after his next Vaccination when he has it.

Hi his defo just had the Myxomatosis & the VHD. The vet did not use the combo vaccine. his defo eating perusual and drinking.

Living in North London would anyone be able to recommend me a vet?

So he had the jabs separately? Did he have them at the same time as each other i.e. on the same day? If he did then your vet is very naughty and I'd change vets - there is supposed to be a
2-week gap between the 2 jabs if they're done singly. If they were done during the same visit then this is probably why he's
off-colour. I'd complain to your vet as I believe he was wrong to do them during the same visit (going on what my vet has said when mine had the single jabs last year).

So he had the jabs separately? Did he have them at the same time as each other i.e. on the same day? If he did then your vet is very naughty and I'd change vets - there is supposed to be a
2-week gap between the 2 jabs if they're done singly. If they were done during the same visit then this is probably why he's
off-colour. I'd complain to your vet as I believe he was wrong to do them during the same visit (going on what my vet has said when mine had the single jabs last year).

I think the new combi vac was given http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-58449.html

Hi guys to put things straight he had them 2 weeks apart has he told me he needs to be fit enough for the next jab. I was just referring to rach post kn what ones he had.

Okay I've just been updated that the second jab was called cylap. :( his drinking and eating as normal. Wish I had found this forum earlier.

Nick I am sorry if I have worried you, the vets should have moved on from Cylap if they are rabbit savy and are kean on keeping theiir fingers!! Our vets switched from cylap and told us that they were were told if they were to accidentially ***** themselves with cylap the advise is AMPUTATION of the limb!!
The reason I choose never to use cylap is because my Jimby had it when we first got him and did not know much about rabbits, he had a bad reaction and had to be hospitalised for 4 days!! He was very sick!!
If your bun is acting ok dont panic around him as that will stress him out. Play it as it goes, as long as he keeps eating, drinking, pooing and weeing he should be ok just keep a close eye on him and we are here if you have any q estions. If you have any willow you could give him some as it acts as a natural pain killer.

Last edited:
Cylap used to make one of mine very 'off' and quiet for a couple of days. I raised my concerns and she now has Lapinject. However, my other bun was/is fine with Cylap.

Back