• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how high off the ground should I have my hutch?

pooks

Warren Scout
As title suggests really! I'm having a hutch built 6' x 2'6" x 2'6" but I need to decide how high off the ground to make it - what height do other people have? My considerations are my access into the hutch (the higher the better for me!) but I will attach a run onto the side of the hutch so need to consider the height in terms of the bunnies safely getting from hutch to the floor. I will put a wooden box in for them to use as a step or use a ramp but obviously it can't be too high for the to either jump up/down (even with the box) or have a ramp that is too steep/long). Any suggestions? The place i'm getting the hutch from make stands which would hold the hutch 20cm off the ground or 40cm off the ground so i was thinking the 40cm off the ground? Although they can make the stand to any height you want.
Thank you!

My buns could certainly jump that.

This might be me being silly but if the run is to be attached to the front of the cage what is to stop them escaping under the cage?

I usually stick mine 1ft off the ground which is 30cm, it just makes life easier since the hutches are 2ft tall and the run is 3ft tall they both line up easily. If the options are 20cm or 40cm I would probably go with 40cm to be safe. You want to consider how easy it will be to get them out from underneath the hutch if they gain access, if it's too low you would have to get something to prod them out but 30cm you can just reach in yourself.

Back