• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Velvetine bunnies

Rabbitfantothemax

Warren Scout
I have two of these buns does anyone know what breeds make it?
I know its Rex but not sure on the other thing
Apparently Velvetines are quite rare
Here is a pic of Coko and Peppermint (both vevetine)
IMG_8091.jpg

IMG_8095_1.jpg

Last edited:
never heard of such a breed? :?
look like normal rex's to me, there is a 'velveteen lop' but thats just a mix of lop and rex

They are just rex rabbits

The name Velveteen was given to the Rex rabbits because of its dense fur, describe as velvety

They're rex, well they could have something else mixed in but it's hard to tell. I'm not experienced with Rex so I can't tell if they're standard or mini (although if they're adult you can weigh them and see) but their colours are tri-colour and harlequin

Velveteen can be used to describe the feel or their fur, and it was used in the name of a lop breed with rex fur but for up-eared rabbits they're just called Rex :)

I agree the only 'velvetine' I've heard of which is a cross is a cross between a rex and a lop.
There is a breeder in America who is successfully breeding 'Velvet Lions' which are a rex with a long mane.
There is a rare type of rex called an Astrex which has curly fur, but these are not a breed as such. The curl is caused by a genetic abnormality and cannot be breed for.

Back