• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bucks fighting

MrsHam

New Kit
Hello,

I got my two baby bucks last week and they have been fine all week. Bonded really well from the word go, lots of grooming each other, spending time together. Then, today, an almighty fight broke out, started by the younger of the two (who is almost 11 weeks old). They played happily for an hour then the younger started circling the older buck (who is 12 weeks old tomorrow). This older buck responded in the same manner, then the fur began to fly. I had to throw water on them to separate them. I put them back in their shared hutch and they went back to their usual habit of sitting together as if nothing had happened.
I phoned my vet who said they need to be separated for now and then have a check up to see if they are old enough to be neutered. I'm booked in for this Friday for the check-up and will book them in for the op if they are ready.
The whole incident seriously upset me as I was getting on so well until this happened. To be honest, I'm surprised that they're doing this now, they are so young. I thought I had everything covered.
I guess I'm wondering if anyone has been through the same thing and I'm also hoping that everything will be alright after the neutering.
For now they are both in the shed, but one is in the hutch and the other is allowed to roam the (bunny-proofed) shed. Tomorrow, on the advice of the vet, I will swap them around so neither gets used to just the shed or just the hutch. They can see and smell each other, they're just not together at the moment.
Any advice appreciated, or just a good news story that things will be ok.

Sadly, it's very expected. They are developing their hormones and this is completely normal and expected behaviour. Your vet is right about separating them and then having a check to see if they are big enough and developed enough to neuter. Once they have been neutered, 6-8 weeks later you can try to rebond, but there really are no guarantees with that at all, so it will be important to consider what options you have if they have to remain separate.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me!

My boys are still separated and it is now 6 weeks since they were neutered, I am going to try the rebond in the next week or so... But you have to be prepared that it may not work. I am fully prepared for that eventuality and have a plan in place already if it doesn't!!!

Thanks for the comments. What plan have you got in place if your bucks don't re-bond, Hele?
Although it's early days for me yet, I'm guessing it'll be another hutch bought, and separate time in the huge run I bought for them to share. Not exactly what I had in mind. Ah well. Let's hope the neutering works.
I'm just hoping all goes well tonight. Sweetie (the blue dutch) is loose in the shed, nibbling on the frame holding the hutch which is housing Nibbles (the black dutch). He seems to prefer muching the wood to eating the hay! I'm going to check them again in an hour and then hoping all will be alright throughout the night.
Are they active at night, or do they sleep at all?

Yes, rabbits are active at night, mainly dawn and dusk, and late night-early morning too. Rabbits dont really sleep for long periods, they have little naps and sleeps mainly throughout the day and night. The sleepiest time for my rabbits (and I suspect all) seems to be late-morning to mid-afternoon. Mine tend to be the most active at around 9pm, 12am, 2am, 4am, and 6am till 8am - these were the times Annabella would zoom around, with loads of energy for no apparent reason.

You would have to get them each a run if you wanted them to live separately, as sharing they wouldnt get enough exercise time a day in there, particularly in the winter and/or if you work during the day (as you wont be there to change them around in the day). You should also consider how you would ensure that each had the company that they need, as rabbits should be kept in pairs or more, although an exception can sometimes be made for housebunnies in a busy area of the house with an owner that is home a lot.

But hopefully it won't come to that and they will rebond, but you must resist the urge to put them together until they are ready and you have planned your bonding carefully, as rabbits will remember fighting and that can make bonding them in the future trickier.

Make sure the rabbit in the shed part has a big pile of hay and a hidey-hole as well as the obvious water.

Hi Nessar,
Yes, I'm about to go and check the bunnies before finally retiring for the night and am taking a load of hay with me for the blue dutch who's 'loose' in the shed.
I've got a couple of hidey-holes available. It's nice and warm tonight, so hoping all will be OK. Tomorrow, I'll swap the rabbits around and give them a couple of hours each in the run if it isn't raining.
Friday is vet day, when I'll find out if they're ready to be neutered. Hopefully they are.
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Good to know there's help and support out there. It's very much appreciated.

Back