• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonley rabbits

Hello,

I have a Tan lop called George i have had him a couple of weeks but recently read that, rabbits need company and then somewhere else said there are ok on there own, now im confused and i need some help do i get another rabbit or not.

Help!!

Thanks
Chloe xx

Hi Chloe. Welcome to the forum :)

I think we need to see photos of your lovely boy! :D

Ideally, yes, generally rabbits do prefer a friend. However, what can work best is to get him neutered and wait 6-8 weeks and then have a chat with a reputable rescue (one who spays/neuteres and vaccinates) and let him choose his friend.

yes do - and get a bunny savvy vet ! dont just go to any old vet. there are a lot out there that are rubbish with rabbits, even within a practice

hi!:wave: welcome ot the forum...must say - Ive learnt SO much about bunnies on here and have been able to give them so much of a better life than Id have done before...love to see pics of your bun George! Best advice already give but feel free to ask loads! I did when I joined!:wave::p

(tip: Hay is their main meal...pellets are an addition....so hay hay hay...as their teeth never stop growing..its essential for them to graze alot! Hayforpets do some great variety hays and also do free samples. Bales of meadow hay are the cheapest and best quality hay for bun!)

I'm not new to having buns but its a long time since I've hada baby bun! I've forgotten so much - he came with a mix of rabbit royals and redigrass should I give that once or twice a day. He's got continuous hay which he's also eating!

Welcome to The Forum. :wave:

Rabbit Royale and readigrass are good, and it's great your bun is eating hay as this is the most important part of a rabbits diet. Does he eat all the mix, or leave bits? If he is a selective feeder you might be best to think about a pelleted feed. This said, if he is happy and healthy on what you are giving him I wouldn't rush into changing his diet, and any new food should be introduced gradually.

Welcome to The Forum. :wave:

Rabbit Royale and readigrass are good, and it's great your bun is eating hay as this is the most important part of a rabbits diet. Does he eat all the mix, or leave bits? If he is a selective feeder you might be best to think about a pelleted feed. This said, if he is happy and healthy on what you are giving him I wouldn't rush into changing his diet, and any new food should be introduced gradually.

Thanks for the advice. He eats every scrap of the mix while he's little shall I give it to him once or twice a day. As I'm not giving him any veg ATM as was told to leave it until he's 4 months and introduce it gradually.

Thanks for the advice. He eats every scrap of the mix while he's little shall I give it to him once or twice a day. As I'm not giving him any veg ATM as was told to leave it until he's 4 months and introduce it gradually.

I'm not too sure, as I've never had a baby rabbit. My Spenser was 7 months and fully grown when he came to me. I think they are supposed to be fed more mix when still growing. If you post your question as a thread in the 'diet' section of The Forum I'm sure someone will know.

You're right with the veg :thumb: things like carrots and banana are very high in sugar so should only be given as a treat, green and leafy veg is best :thumb: I don't feed mine veg much, they get herbs as its much more natural and like roughage for their tummies :)

I would say maybe twice a day? Like.. If you gave half a bowl a day, half that and give him that one half in the morning and the other half in the evening? If you understand that :lol: With babies they can have more food than adults, I don't know how much though, I gave mine a large handful in the evening when they were tiny (around 6pm) and the rest of the time they had hay, when they were older it was only half a handful a day :) now they're neutered and bonded they have a handful between them :) they are on science selective pellets but my Lola was on Royale and I swapped her onto the pellets at about 6 months old as she started leaving bits!

Last edited:
Hiya and welcome! We can't tell you what to do, but generally, yes, bunnies do prefer another as company. It can't really be described how happy it makes most bunnies when they get a companion. I didn't realise just how lonely my single bunny was until I had a pair of bunnies. The change in them was huge, they are so much happier with company.

Hi there

it sounds like your bunny is very well taken care of, is he a house bunny or does he live outside.

Have you decided what you would like to do yet?

I just got a baby female as a house pet that I fell for at a local farm, but now kinda wish I had waited & got a bonded pair from a rescue place, but hey she's very cute ;) I spoke to a lady on the phone just now at Bramcote rescue & she advised to wait a few months after she is neutered & take her along to pick a mate :love:

Back