• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All different advice online for baby rabbits !

cheriewalpole

Young Bun
Looking online about care for my newborn rabbits - i have seen so much different advice !!

Some say DONT touch some say its fine to touch.... some even suggest that you bring baby buns indoors and just take them out to feed from mum once to twice a day !!!

This being a new bunny mummy is sooooo hard !!! ...lol

All you can do is read it all and then decide what is best for your bunnies. This is the same for most areas of rabbit care though (diet, bonding, etc), and also like having children (so things like weaning, diet, introducing new foods, how they shoud sleep). The info I gave you is learnt through practice and also from some exceptionally knowledgable breeders; it's not totally random or anything like that. It's the info I followed when I had babies and share it with people because I trust that info, but equally, I know each rabbit is different and so it's totally down to each individual knowing their bunny, reading information and then making informed choices.

All you can do is read it all and then decide what is best for your bunnies. This is the same for most areas of rabbit care though (diet, bonding, etc), and also like having children (so things like weaning, diet, introducing new foods, how they shroud sleep). The info I gave you is learnt through practice and also from some exceptionally knowledgeable breeders; it's not totally random or anything like that. It's the info I followed when I had babies and share it with people because I trust that info, but equally, I know each rabbit is different and so it's totally down to each individual knowing their bunny, reading information and then making informed choices.

I am following ALL your advice ...otherwise they would be indoors now if had listened to two of my friends ...although am worried about temperature drop that's due this weekend.

I wonder, could you post photos of the current set up and what the weather proofing you currently have looks like? We may be able to offer help and suggestions :)

I have brought up quite a few baby rabbits and generally I never handle them unless one is out of the nest. They are the responsibilty of Mum and I respect that and kind of oversee from a distance. Mum will feed, clean and make sure they are warm enough. She will need extra food and really enjoy fresh veges or grass, herbs, if she is used to eating these foods already. When the babies are around 2.1/2 - 3 weeks old they will start to venture out of the nest and will start to nibble at Mum's food. Everything she eats they can eat. If you use a water bottle make sure it is low enough for the babies to be able to reach it. Give them lots of hay as well and around this time you can clean the nest out unless it looks very clean, then I would leave it for another week. Once the babies start to eat solid food etc you will need to put extra food in so they always have some to eat. Babies should stay with Mum until at least 8 weeks old, longer imo.

I have brought up quite a few baby rabbits and generally I never handle them unless one is out of the nest. They are the responsibilty of Mum and I respect that and kind of oversee from a distance. Mum will feed, clean and make sure they are warm enough. She will need extra food and really enjoy fresh veges or grass, herbs, if she is used to eating these foods already. When the babies are around 2.1/2 - 3 weeks old they will start to venture out of the nest and will start to nibble at Mum's food. Everything she eats they can eat. If you use a water bottle make sure it is low enough for the babies to be able to reach it. Give them lots of hay as well and around this time you can clean the nest out unless it looks very clean, then I would leave it for another week. Once the babies start to eat solid food etc you will need to put extra food in so they always have some to eat. Babies should stay with Mum until at least 8 weeks old, longer imo.

Thank you Tonibun - i only cleaned them out after alot of thinking...as mum had used nest box as a toilet before there birth....i have not touched the first set and they are approx 8-11 days old now.

I will take note of your info as its very helpful in knowing whats happens and when.

I wonder, could you post photos of the current set up and what the weather proofing you currently have looks like? We may be able to offer help and suggestions :)

This below is my present set up - end of my garden they love it like this as can open doors straight onto garden for a run about - they are going to be moved near house asap ( but scared of moving new mums hutches )

Geraldine nest box =
69155_434999939880724_659080630_n.jpg
[/IMG]
66361_435000016547383_1664056717_n.jpg
[/IMG]

384862_434962033217848_1279713437_n.jpg
[/IMG]

Hutch seen on left has 2 females - CeCe & Dora, middle is Geraldine & 2 babies ( 8-12 days)water backed blanket covers at night , bottom right is Dora & 4 newborns i cover these with garden tarpoling & Bob sits on top.
404276_434999819880736_208580995_n.jpg
[/IMG]

I am getting in next few days some old advertising signs that i will make into a better cover near house.

578954_434965049884213_1870924660_n.jpg
[/IMG]

This above is where mums and babies will be move too ....not sure if can squeeze other two hutches into this area too....otherwise they will be going ... see below
59823_434965333217518_1189124453_n.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
What's wrong with the middle hutch's water bottle? It'll be good once you have them all spayed and bonded then they can have a bigger space together.
Looks a wee bitty cramped, what ones the babies in?

Grand, thanks :)

Ok, so you have stuff that drops over the front of one of the hutches? It would be ideal to have that over all of them. A tarpaulin would be great because it's weather proof.

Also, if you can get a Snugglesafe, or similar, and heat that up and stick it on the outside of the hutch but where the nest is, that would work well too.

Also, mounds and mounds of hay and straw too.

Have both mum's pulled a lot of fur for the nests?

Grand, thanks :)

Ok, so you have stuff that drops over the front of one of the hutches? It would be ideal to have that over all of them. A tarpaulin would be great because it's weather proof.

Also, if you can get a Snugglesafe, or similar, and heat that up and stick it on the outside of the hutch but where the nest is, that would work well too.

Also, mounds and mounds of hay and straw too.

Have both mum's pulled a lot of fur for the nests?

tarpaulin covers the two hutches on right , Both mums have made super nests and i check on them often.
Once up near house they will be a bit more protected from the weather (have you seen my updated photos)

tarpaulin covers the two hutches on right , Both mums have made super nests and i check on them often.
Once up near house they will be a bit more protected from the weather (have you seen my updated photos)

Just seen then :)

What are you going to do with the advertising signs you're going to pick up?

I would think you can move them down when the babies have eyes open, unless the temps REALLY drop and then it's more risky to leave them where they are.

I would also suggest, for the mummies, to swap the bottles for bowls when the babies have eyes open and are leaving the nest, that way they can all share i and when they need a drink :)

If you think more fur needs to be in the nest then you can gently tease it away from mum's nipples; the hormones should make it come away easily.

Just seen then :)

What are you going to do with the advertising signs you're going to pick up?

Not sure - try to use them to keep hutches dry and give protection from norfolk winds

I would think you can move them down when the babies have eyes open, unless the temps REALLY drop and then it's more risky to leave them where they are.
I worried that temp will drop this weekend & am worried about the 4 younger ones - i was ment to be going away to family caravan for long weekend but will be coming home now twice a day to check on bunnies

I would also suggest, for the mummies, to swap the bottles for bowls when the babies have eyes open and are leaving the nest, that way they can all share i and when they need a drink :)

If you think more fur needs to be in the nest then you can gently tease it away from mum's nipples; the hormones should make it come away easily.

Okies will do that , just worry about mum tipping bowl over...lol
Look forward to trying to pull fur from 1st mummies tummy...she soooo flipping fast :lol:

Last edited:
How about getting clear perspex, putting some holes in it (for ventilation), and screwing that onto the front of the hutches to stop the wind chill?

If you're worried about this weekend and when we get there it is due to drop that low, then bring them down, or even into a garage, or similar, if no cars go in there.

If you get a ceramic bowl then mum won't be able to tip it; even a slightly larger dog ceramic bowl could work. Just make sure it's as far from the nest as possible :)

I wish my local friends would stop saying things like "if you put heat pack in you will have to do it till may "

Yeh, you don't need to do that. You only need to do that if you bring them indoors. Maybe direct your friends here and we can all share together :D

Back