• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Newborns - do i change bedding.

cheriewalpole

Young Bun
My 2nd mummy rabbit Ruby - had at least 4 babies Monday/Tuesday night.
527519_434661396581245_1147627999_n.jpg

She gave birth in a litter tray and made a lovely nest - Ruby normally likes do do her business in this box .... I am sure this box prob has urine and poo in ( as well as blood) smells a little bit - what do you advise i should do.

she normally goes off for a run around garden after a quick stroke .

i do have a spare litter tray and have bought a fleece blanket....butt i not sure if too early to be pulling about.

If the tray is really smelly and dirty i would careful move the nest and babies give the area a quick wipe and put them back i had to do this with my babies as charlie (mum) decided to wee all over them in the nest they were wet through and swimming in wee so had no choice all 7 babies survived

Yes i feel she doing a good job - i just popped and had check of bedding and it is
a bit smelly & damp.

I've been out all day and currently have a very distressed rabbit on my lap now I'm home, hence my delay.

I asked about feeding because if she is looking after them well then you have more leeway.

Mum's do urinate oj theur nest to compsct it so this may be what she has done, possibly to the extremr. I'd probably be inclined to use a tray and line it with newspaper and the loads of hay and then salvage as much of the nest as possible aand swap the kits, then place exactly as the other was, and then empty the dirty tray and make it up howver you make up litter trays and place that somewhere close so she has thee option of a toilet too.

Ultimately though, it's up to you and what you think is best.

I've been out all day and currently have a very distressed rabbit on my lap now I'm home, hence my delay.

I asked about feeding because if she is looking after them well then you have more leeway.

Mum's do urinate oj theur nest to compsct it so this may be what she has done, possibly to the extremr. I'd probably be inclined to use a tray and line it with newspaper and the loads of hay and then salvage as much of the nest as possible aand swap the kits, then place exactly as the other was, and then empty the dirty tray and make it up howver you make up litter trays and place that somewhere close so she has thee option of a toilet too.

Ultimately though, it's up to you and what you think is best.
I had quick stroke of mum , rubbed my hand in her straw and doings , brought nesting box indoors (litter tray ) - and showed husband & he agreed smelt very strong and was damp - all the time be very careful not to loose my smelly dirty hands scent. I put them in a large sandwich box with Mums fur & remade nest box up as near to what mum had did as possible ( but added hay straw under them) and placed back in hutch then had to chase mum round garden as she was quite enjoying the grass and weeds we got growing ... will check on them in an hour.

I had quick stroke of mum , rubbed my hand in her straw and doings , brought nesting box indoors (litter tray ) - and showed husband & he agreed smelt very strong and was damp - all the time be very careful not to loose my smelly dirty hands scent. I put them in a large sandwich box with Mums fur & remade nest box up as near to what mum had did as possible ( but added hay straw under them) and placed back in hutch then had to chase mum round garden as she was quite enjoying the grass and weeds we got growing ... will check on them in an hour.

Marvellous. Well done :thumb:

My 2nd mummy rabbit Ruby - had at least 4 babies Monday/Tuesday night.
527519_434661396581245_1147627999_n.jpg

She gave birth in a litter tray and made a lovely nest - Ruby normally likes do do her business in this box .... I am sure this box prob has urine and poo in ( as well as blood) smells a little bit - what do you advise i should do.

My Nest looks just as good !!!!
404276_434999819880736_208580995_n.jpg
[/IMG]

Great she has tiddled on them again..... i decided at 11.20pm tonight to move the hutch nearer the house so to give them a little more warmth - stuck my finger in and they seemed warm but not as warm as i think they should be...maybe its me being a new mummy !!

Only other thing i could do would be to bring the babies in and just take out for feeding ???

Great she has tiddled on them again..... i decided at 11.20pm tonight to move the hutch nearer the house so to give them a little more warmth - stuck my finger in and they seemed warm but not as warm as i think they should be...maybe its me being a new mummy !!

Only other thing i could do would be to bring the babies in and just take out for feeding ???

I suspect that actually she is doing it through instinct rather than anything else. Rabbits can often drink their urine if they are cold and need warming up. I'm just wondering whether she is weeing on them, knowing it's warm, because she feels they are cooler than they should be so potentially she may doing it to warm them up.

Have you provided a heat source stuck to the outside of the hutch?

I personally wouldn't bring them in. I'm not seeing that mummy is neglecting them, or a risk to them so by bringing them in you're creating a situation that could be harder, long term, potentially more detrimental to the kits, long term and more stressful to mum, which means a stronger likelihood of things going wrong. However, that is just my personal opinion and what I would do.

What about a heat pad slid under the hutch where the litter tray and nest is?

:thumb: this is something I have suggested a couple of times in different ways. Looking at the set up yesterday it looks like it ould be difficult to slide it underneath without making the hutch dangerously balanced, which is why I suggested sticking it to the side near then nest, but underneath would be far preferrable, for sure. :)

Back