• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When's the right time?

beccimarie

Mama Doe
The more I come back on here the more a relise im missing a massive part of my life, yet the thought of getting another bun terrifies me. For those who knew Casper and poppy they were my previous buns who past away last year :( iv found life without them difficult. I'd love to give two more rescues buns a loving home but I'm scared when is the right time? Will I ever be strong enough to have more in my life?

You are still grieving. :(

This does not mean that you are not ready to adopt two more rescue rabbits. If you can provide them with all they need, I would say go ahead.

I often think of this when Doughnut is ill. She's an indoor rabbit on her own and my little baby.Can't believe I would love another rabbit as much as her so often think when she is gone I wouldn't get another one as wouldn't want to compare them and think she's not as cute as Doughnut was.

Having said that I guess it's a lot like children. I loved my nephew so much and when my sister was pregnant again we both worried if we would love the new one as much but we do but in a different way.

Also when Doughnut has stayed overnight on two occasions elsehwhere I hated it. Just felt lonely without her bouncing around my front room and boring, so I think I may have another one.

I really don't know what the answer is but you have a loving home to give a rescue rabbit or rabbits and I'm sure they will probably help with your grief. They will have their own special qualities and no doubt you will love them too.

Maybe go to a rescue and just have a look around and see if any pull at your heart strings and feel right for you. You could always go away and think about it. If you don't see any you want to take home there is no harm done and maybe you aren't ready or you just haven't found the right bunnies for you.

Your heart will always expand to find enough room to love another bun. Some buns will always find a way to your heart. I already had 3 buns when I fostered Pebs. Now he is my *special* bun ( he had a tumor removed just after I got him and is a dental bun but sooo adorable) , but when he goes, I know I will always love another bun just as much.

I guess I'm just scared I won't be good enough, since I lost Casper and poppy the pain is unbearable why do they have to leave

I agree with cpayne..have a look at some rescue buns...have a stoke, just watch some for a while to see if there are any with particular characters/personalities which appeal to you. I'd be surprised if you didn't come away not falling in love with at least one!

and of course you are good enough...if you can love enough to mourn the loss of your two bunnies, then you have the main quality of being a good bunny mummy!

You obviously loved them very much so that definitely makes you good enough, that's the most important thing.

Them passing wasn't your fault.

I'm sure you will fall in love with another two cuddly fluffpots, making yours and their lives a lot happier.

I don't think there is a 'right time' it's just when you're ready I guess. :(

I know when mine passed away I couldn't rehome another for a while, but there came a time when I did miss having a rabbit around and eventually I did give another rabbit a loving home. It is obvious you would give a loving home to a very lucky bun :)

I know how you feel. When we lost Alfie and Vi over the summer we found it very hard, I decided we should have a break from rabbits due to our confidence being knocked as bunny parents. But all that changed a few weeks ago when I stumbled accidentally across two wonderful bunny brothers in need of a home. It was a difficult decision because I was unsure if the timing was right, just like you feel now. We have now had them living with us for just under two weeks and I am so happy we took the plunge. Don't get me wrong, they do no not replace Alfie and Vi, we still miss them so much it hurts, we often talk about their funny antics. The way I am looking at it, these two boys were needing a home, we had the space, knowledge, time and money to give them a loving home and we get lots in return. I am sure Aflie and Vi would approve, as I'm sure your bunnies would too.

I would say the right time is when you know in your heart it is, it's a very personal situation some people would get another pet right away whereas others would wait, my friend who recently lost her bun is not going to ever get another. You could always browse around rescues, if it doesn't feel right then maybe you need more time, or maybe you will stumble across a pair who do feel right :)

I got Herbie & Inca about 3 months after my Kermit left me. When I first got them I would look and think 'oh I don't know if it's the right thing' but then after a while I loved them :)

They don't replace my Kermit, I still grieve for him loads, but they do help :)

:wave:I think that coming back here is a very courageous 1st. step.
Just seeing our user names will bring back memmories & add to your grieving process, so take it gently. You can opt in & out as you are able here. It might be a good idea to stick with the "photos & stories" part of the forum, just getting used to seeing buns until the grief doesn't surge back, which it might do at 1st. It's such a boost when others respond when we share the happiness our buns give us, because it's only special people who understand us.
Sometimes in "behaviour & bonding" a new kit asks a very simple question eg "is it normal for my bun to go loopy & jump in the air". This helps you to bring back happy memmories & the new kit is delighted with your reply that it's a sign of a very happy bun.
See you can help others, while slowly getting back to being used to buns not being an intensely painful reminder.

I don't think you fully realise that Casper & Poppy are iconic buns on here. You tried something completely new, with low chew food to reduce the pain, & found so many ways to reduce stress, you know the importance of pain relieving drugs, & the results were truely miraculous. When I heard Casper had the jaw infection, I honestly thought he'd only manage another month, & with Poppy a few weeks.

So many of us have learned fom you. I'd suggest you wait until you're fully better before you go back there.
You may find it odd that an older woman has soo much respect for you, but I do, AND because of this, I say "please let this forum help you to heal".

Personally I find "health" incredibly emotionally demanding, & have moved over to diet & foraging more. For me it's not just the loss of Thumper, but I also have a great sadness for the passing of many buns on here. I'd advise against you going there until you're much much stronger.

BTW I wasn't looking for another bun, in fact I was very worried I could manage, not only emotionally, but I was physically exhausted after caring for a sick bun for 5 + years. Benjie was found trying to cross a busy road in rush hour. There were no enquiries after 2 weeks, & he was going to be sent to a rescue. My heart melted at the thought of a little baby, whose plums hadn't dropped, waiting & waiting for a proper home. I was geared up for rabbits. He's a totally different temperament from Thumper, so it was easier for me, but I wasn't well physically, & I feel he's missed out.
Please get strong again, both physically & emotionally. Rabbits are the most difficult & complex animals to care for. I'd say we owe it to them to be as well as we can be before giving them a home.

I really am delighted you've come back to us.:D

Thank you so much for all your reply, I will take your advice :) I will make sure I'm strong and recovered before making any decisions but continue to come on here and learn more and enjoy reading all ur stories about your buns, and maybe just maybe one day I'll come on here and surprise you all with my own bunny Storie ;)

Thank you so much for all your reply, I will take your advice :) I will make sure I'm strong and recovered before making any decisions but continue to come on here and learn more and enjoy reading all ur stories about your buns, and maybe just maybe one day I'll come on here and surprise you all with my own bunny Storie ;)

I'll be delighted as you get stronger, & thrilled when you give us your own bunny story. Be warned I'm very patient indeed, & determined, or, more accurately bloomin stubborn. :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Not rabbits but when we lost my childhood dog two years ago, it was AWFUL. She left a massive massive hole and we couldn't imagine getting another dog, ever. But actually we decided after 2 months - though still grieving - to adopt another. And he really helped with the process. Although she wasn't coming back, we gave him a home :) He'd been at the rescue for nearly a year and was only 18 months old, so had spent more time in the kennels than in a loving home.

So the point of my post is, sometimes getting another animal can really help you. xx

Back