• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any litter training advice?

MillyAlice

Warren Scout
We've had lovely Luna since last Friday
(see thread here)
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?360446-My-lovely-new-Luna!-(pics)
and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on litter training the new bun in a bonded pair. Obviously coming from the hideous squalor she did, pooping neatly wasn't even an option as they were NEVER cleaned out.
She now does her wees and poops around their pile of hay. I wonder if this is a possessive thing? It's all the way round the outside (and occasionally on top of it!) and boy, does she poop a lot. She grazes all day so she poops all day too! I've been sweeping up all her poops and putting them in the litter tray but as she wees on the rug I can only dab at it and clean it that way. It's made me realise that Jaspie really litter trained himself, we just put the tray where he wee'd and that was it! Do a pair normally share a litter tray or do they have separate ones?
Sorry for all the questions :)

My pairs share a litter tray but most have 2 anyway. I give mine big underbed storage boxes and fill with hay on top of paper. Luna is very pretty, very similar to Pippa who I have just lost unfoortunately.

They will share a litter tray eventually. I have a large underbed storage box as a litter tray, as they all love to sleep in it together :lol: What I find is that they tend to poo and wee a) where there is hay, so if I give them a cardboard box filled with hay to eat, they will start using that instead of their litter tray

b) I have given them dog beds (willow and a large strong plastic one) filled with old towels to sleep in, and they also use this as a litter tray! which isn't what I expected.

c) if their litter tray isn't cleaned on time, they will start peeing elsewhere (very fussy buns)

so the best option is to start with an underbed storage box big enough for 2 buns to sleep in ( I fill mine with aubiose and some hay) and place it where she is peeing and slowly move it each day to where you want it to be! each time she poos elsewhere, pick the poos up and put it in the box. In time she will recognise the litter box...mine will still use it where-ever I move it to now.

Unfortunately my dog beds have holes in the bottom, so now I put puppy training pads at the bottom under the towels! Not sure how to stop them pooing and weeing on the towels!

Luna is very pretty, very similar to Pippa who I have just lost unfoortunately.
I'm so sorry to hear that, I'm dreading the thought of the time coming, even if it's ten years from now :(

fruitandnutcake, that's a good idea. I use back2nature and hay in Jaspie's litter tray, she'll occasionally hop in and eat some hay so I probably should've figured out there was a hay connection! I'll try a new tray and see how that goes!
Thanks to both of you :wave:

as said really - large litter tray for them ot eat poop, wee and sleep in:p and also - any wee thats done NOT where you want it - wipe over the area with white vinigar (dilue if it might damage surface -like wooden floors or something) - the smell wipes away and lifts any calcium left from the wee and stops the other bun from weeing ontop to mark their area.:p

given the really really cold weather, my 2 have a large underbed storage tray with hay and a smaller tray in their hutch. Hutch is in the shed.

There is also hay/straw in the hutch to keep them cosy. Willow literally pees and poos everywhere. In both trays, over the floor , in the hay, in their bedding area and its awful. Its bitterly cold out there and the hay every day is soaking. Not only it is freezing, its smelly despite the fact I clear out litter trays twice daily and literally cant keep up with the totl hay replacementfor the hutch daily. I have gone through a bale of hay in 10 days and theres only the two of them......

I put all poos back in litter tray and clean with vinegar but its hopeless.. Can anyone suggest an alternative way of litter training?..

Back