• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing french lops...

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave:

I have been looking around incase I end up with the trio and I just wondered...will they fit through a regular cat flap? what size storage boxes for litter trays? Is there anything else that you have discovered when housing your frenchie/other large breed buns that would be useful to know?

Also what do you do about transporting them? I have a small 36" dog crate which im thinking might be better than having to transport them seperatly :? will it be too exposed? I culd put blankets over it?
Also to add another level in their shed would they be able to use a ramp ok?

Any advice would be great :)

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

I have both a standard size cat litter tray aswell as one of those big under bed storage boxes for my frenchie and he sits in it all the time. He also uses a ramp in his two storey hutch OK so I would say they would be fine.

I can't comment on the cat flap or the dog crate as I haven't used them myself. But I would say they could fit through a standard cat flap.. well mine could anyway.

:)

I guess you'd need a bigger cat flap but im not sure.. I'm sure they could squidge through a normal one :lol: mine have got through smaller spaces.. Leo (German lop'ish) managed to get through a tiny gap.. A tiny gap!! :) litter tray wise, I found out yesterday you can get this huge storage box but I can't remember the size.. It's a bit shorter height wise than a 32L storage box but its longer, I think that would be okay :lol: or maybe a second hand indoor cage? One of the big ones maybe :D

Transporting them in a dog crate would be ok if you have someone else to carry it with you. Unless you are very strong! Covering it with something would be a good idea. The underbed storage boxes would be big enough for 2 Frenchies to sit in but not three but if you use anything bigger it's a pain washing them out.

Ok I found 42L and 55L underbed boxes and i think I found an even bigger one of 60 something ish litres! I use 32L ones for the pairs...

My Bentley is a my 7.5 kg conti. He uses a regular size catflap to get into his run and has no problem going in at out. I removed the flap bit though as he is a big clumsy lad (with only one eye) and I tend to go a bit over the top in making things super-safe for him. If I need to keep him inside the playhouse, then I have a wooden shutter which slides down to close the hole.

I use the plastic base of an indoor cage as his litter tray. Can't remember the exact size, but it's probably around 4'x2'.

Bentley uses a ramp to the upper level in his playhouse. He manages it perfectly fine. It's fairly wide so he has plenty of room for his huge feet and it's carpeted so he doesn't slip.

I bought a large carrier on wheels for transporting Bentley and his girl Minnie. It was quite expensive, but has been well worth it. We call it his chariot. :D

Back