• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit food and hay storage

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
What containers/storage units do you keep your hay and rabbit food in.

I am concerned as presently I keep my hay in the shed which is beside the hutch. We also live near a burn which has, on occasion had rats. Any cheap suggestions to store Floppys food.

I need it rat proof and dont have space in the house

Cheers
Fee x

All my stuff is in plastic dustbins, picked up for about £6 each and with secure lids. Works fine for me :D

I use plastic garden dustbins too but the hay should be dry before it goes in. I also use megazorb sacks but I don't suppose that would stop rates.

I dispense Pete's food into a cereal container and its stored in the utility room.

His hay is left in its bag stored in one of those keter garden store things, its not overly secure, never thought how rat proof it would be :shock: would Rats be attracted to hay?? :?

My in-use bale of hay goes in a standard 240 litre wheely bin. There is usually room for a carrier bag of newspapers, shavings, etc.

Food goes in minature dustbins with twist-on lid for daily use (ie about a week's worth of food), or in square 'bucket' type food storage containers with airtight lids for longer term storage (few ££ each at the Range). I empty out sacks of pellets into these to keep pests & damp out. These are kept in the wendy house / shed.

All waste needs to be kept in bins to discourage rats & mice as well.

I hadnt given it a thought to be honest but it was my old Mum, the fount of all knowledge that said rats would seek out hay in snowy/cold conditions and either use it to nest in or eat it!,,

Eeew,,, the though of big rats in floppys hutch or getting into my house makes my skin crawl.

Sorry for offending any rat owners out there......

Thanks Shimmer, a wheely bin sounds good.. should keep things dry too.....

I do have a couple of metal dutbins (previously used for chicken feed) ..but mice managed to get in one last year when I tried using it to store meadow hay, even though the lids are heavy. So in winter I divide the hay up into tough crates, and stack them indoors where it is dry, I've just ordered a 10kg bag of high fibre science selective food...so not sure how I will store this...probably inside another tough crate.

They creep me out...the one I saw in the burn last year was HUGE!!!

Twice the length (including the tail) of Floppy......

I dont want to see him again!!, or his buddies.....

They creep me out...the one I saw in the burn last year was HUGE!!!

Twice the length (including the tail) of Floppy......

I dont want to see him again!!, or his buddies.....

STOP IT!!!! I'm gonna have nightmares!!! :shock::lol:

A couple of years ago, (when i used to walk around the house at night in the dark to get a drink) I kicked something very warm, big and squidgy in the kitchen...wasn't a rabbit as they were locked up in dining room. I turned the light on and it was gone....too big to be a mouse, so must have been a rat :shock:

I put my bale in a garden storage box, the kind designed for garden cushions and stuff and that lives in the garage. The garage stops it being affected by the weather and the box protects it from any creatures.

Sorry no diff ideas but just so u know rats can chew through wheelie bins (we had them where I work) but I shouldn't think they'd go to those measures for hay/straw but they would for food.

:shock:.... no way??Through wheelie bins too?Hmm.. perhaps I should store hay and straw in the wheelie bin and keep the nuggets etc in the house in a large cereal container...

Thanks for that wee gem of info.. That has freaked me out a bit..

I wonder if anyone here has had issues with rats getting access to hutches..?

:shock:.... no way??Through wheelie bins too?Hmm.. perhaps I should store hay and straw in the wheelie bin and keep the nuggets etc in the house in a large cereal container...

Thanks for that wee gem of info.. That has freaked me out a bit..

I wonder if anyone here has had issues with rats getting access to hutches..?

Yeah, iv never had a prob at my house even tho there r rats nearby (i have unused land and a stream at side of house where theres loads of wildlife!) but at work they chewed a hole right through the wheelie bin and jumped out at u when u went to put some rubbish in :shock: This is a domestic bin tho and the food scraps in there r prob a lot more appealing to them than boring old rabbit pellets so prob wouldn't worry unless u have a real rat infestation!

Back