• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Personality changes in ill buns....? (may be of special interest to Jill Honeybunny!)

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Mulberry is now half way through her fourth week of nodular myxi. The vet checked her again this evening and confirmed she's doing better and her nodules have shrunk; it seems like they're finally about to fall off. Mulberry's breathing remains clear, her eyes are improving, and she is currently eating 4 (or 5 :oops:) bowls of pellets/greens/grated carrot/dandelions/herbs/grass etc a day, as well as a constant supply of hay.

The issue, though, is her personality. Mulberry has never been what you'd call a friendly rabbit; she's always been feisty and I have the scars to prove it. Her nickname was apparently Mad Mulberry :shock:. But at the vets last week and even more this evening she was constantly approaching me and the vet to say hello, even to the point of standing on her back legs with her paws on the vet's chest to ask for attention. This is TOTALLY unlike the Mulberry I have known. Is it possible for a bun's personality to change so drastically age 6 and a half? I'm not concerned, but I am intrigued....:?

Last edited:
We've seen similar (but not as dramatic, and sadly temporary) changes with our buns as they start to feel better after periods of hands on care - makes me think that maybe they've realised that we have something to do with them feeling better and we're not all bad really!

We've seen similar (but not as dramatic, and sadly temporary) changes with our buns as they start to feel better after periods of hands on care - makes me think that maybe they've realised that we have something to do with them feeling better and we're not all bad really!

Hmm... I do wonder if Mulberry's fondness for septrin and metacam has something to do with..:roll:. It will be interesting to see if it wears off once the meds are no longer on tap....:?

I've known of animals changing personality whilst ill, but never as they have got better..normally they resort to type then.

But if Mulberry stays a more friendly girl then great :D
Give her a gentle cuddle from me, she is one honeybunny who I think of often, and well done to you for getting her through this awful disease xxxx

After angels spay she was really nice and constantly groomed me. She seemed to realise that I was helping her.
And bailey has also been nicer since we looked after him after an op to remove an absess :) hope she continues to feel better!!! xxxx

I've known of animals changing personality whilst ill, but never as they have got better..normally they resort to type then.

But if Mulberry stays a more friendly girl then great :D
Give her a gentle cuddle from me, she is one honeybunny who I think of often, and well done to you for getting her through this awful disease xxxx

Will do. She's a very special girlie indeed. :love:

Vet thinks she's doing better and hopefully the illness just needs to run its course. Now we've reached week 4 the nodules are drying and once the one on her nose falls off she should feel much better in herself. She's certainly packing the food away and now her lips are much less swollen she must find eating easier.

Last edited:
After angels spay she was really nice and constantly groomed me. She seemed to realise that I was helping her.
And bailey has also been nicer since we looked after him after an op to remove an absess :) hope she continues to feel better!!! xxxx

Ah, it isn't just Mulberry then. :wave:

Back