• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lifetime costs of keeping a rabbit...

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
bunnycosts.png

Medical: $900 :lol:

On Friday, Barney's vet fees will have cost me over £900 the last 2 months alone - that is $1433.79 I dread to think what he has cost me in the two years I've had him, nevermind how much it will be over his lifetime!

It could probably swap veggies with the vets :lol: mine have cost over £1000 this year, will probably be the same next year :lol: oh well..

Medical: $900 :lol:

On Friday, Barney's vet fees will have cost me over £900 the last 2 months alone - that is $1433.79 I dread to think what he has cost me in the two years I've had him, nevermind how much it will be over his lifetime!

Yeah, $900 annually is probably more like it!

shouldnt hay cost more than veggies ?

Not necessarily - £5 buys you an entire bale of hay but a couple of bagfuls of veggies! It's about cost not volume.

I don't necessarily agree with the way the costs have been broken down, but it's probably not that far out as an estimate...at least of how much it should cost if you're looking after your buns properly!

It can beare considerably lower depending on what you use and costs in your area etc. My costs are nowhere near that high.

Like if you forage or grow your own herbs etc, if you do not use litter or bedding, if you groom yourself, if you buy hay in bales and pellets in bulk (or don't use pellets at all), if your hundreds free ranges the house then no housing is needed, treats can be forage, some toys can be homemade/free, my neuters were only $55 each.... The only thing that may be a bit low is medical but some buns are healthy and never have to go to the vets and of course there's no myxi or vhd here so no costs for vaccs.

Not sure how accurate this is anyway. It also said that having a goldfish for it's lifetime was about $10,000...

Yeah that is not true either... Unless you build an inground swimming pool for them.

I'm glad they're trying to show people that goldfish and rabbits aren't exactly cheap and easy pets but more accurate information would be more believable.

I don't see how I could spend that much on toys ever tbh, bedding I don't buy I use hay, they don't go to a groomers I do that myself spent £5 on the brushes lol, greens/veggies I don't buy for them, they will get spare bits every now and again from our veggies so those costs don't apply here :)

Gosh, I thhink I would love that to be true-I would be rolling in money :lol:

I would like to say I didn't pay for 'grooming' until I asked for a break down of all my vet charges over the last couple of years and noticed I had been charged £13 when nails were clipped (bearing in mind I hold them myself when this is done so in my opinion am doing more than half the job). The only reason i ever got it done at the vets was because I was going anyway, perfectly capable at home with help from my Mum).

This has really made me think about how much I probably spend on the little things you don't notice so much at the time like veg, toys etc. Plus the fact I have changed the bunnies housing about three times in their lives, the most recent time including getting a laminate flooring laid in their bedroom :roll:

Bonding, NIC panels, petrol to vets, rugs, crates for storage, blankets, bowls, brushes, kitchen towel, cage cleaner, rear guard, flea treatment, countless number of bags of hay that remain un-eaten......the list is endless and I dread to think of the total cost!!

Yeah that is not true either... Unless you build an inground swimming pool for them.

I'm glad they're trying to show people that goldfish and rabbits aren't exactly cheap and easy pets but more accurate information would be more believable.

You mean you wouldn't build a whole swimming pool for a goldfish... tsk. lol

I would say most of this is far too low. We spend a fortune on toys because my two destroy most of them within 2 or 3 days. We make our own too. I would never pay for grooming tho, but maybe because my buns don't really have long fur! And vets fees... my word. My two are only 2 and we've easily spend £1500. Most of that on Han when he was really ill but still!

well i spend £2000+ one year trying to get bisc and matt stable. their meds cost me £80 a month! then all the other costs! over their lifetime it will be alot! but they are worth every penny :love:

well i spend £2000+ one year trying to get bisc and matt stable. their meds cost me £80 a month! then all the other costs! over their lifetime it will be alot! but they are worth every penny :love:

Totally. I love everything about them They have to be some of the funniest pets I've ever had. A lot more work than I expected but worth every second and every penny.

Yeah Han went through a stage where he was on about 4 different things a month... that was a lot of very costly bills. I was amazed when we went for a check up and it was only £50 for the 2 of them. Was the least Id paid in a long time!

You mean you wouldn't build a whole swimming pool for a goldfish... tsk. lol

I would say most of this is far too low. We spend a fortune on toys because my two destroy most of them within 2 or 3 days. We make our own too. I would never pay for grooming tho, but maybe because my buns don't really have long fur! And vets fees... my word. My two are only 2 and we've easily spend £1500. Most of that on Han when he was really ill but still!

Lol I would love to but unfortunately I'm not rich :( this is incredible, I'd so do it if I had the money http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?232218-New-Tropical-Pond

Back