• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the stalky DFH like at the moment?

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
As per the title - has anyone had a recent batch of stalky Dust Free Hay? Mine really only like it when it's very stalky so I don't want to order any if it's quite soft. Thanks folks.

which type of hay meadow hay? where do you get it from maybe worth looking around elsewhere to find finer stuff if your buns are off the ones you usaully get right now? i get ours from wilkos

I have regular farm bales for litter trays etc but usually buy Dust Free Hay from here www.Dustfreehay.co.uk as quality eating hay. Just wanted to know how stalky their 'stalky' hay is at the moment.

Hi :wave:

My delivery from a couple of weeks ago can best be described as very straw like. There are definitely lots of stalkier bits in amongst all the other bits but it's not as stalky as it used to be in the good old days!

If you've had a delivery from them in the past year or so then it's probably the same as can't say it's changed much recently.

Hope this helps! :)

This is why I moved over to Ings hay from hay for pets. DFH stalky seems to have gone down hill at the moment

This is why I moved over to Ings hay from hay for pets. DFH stalky seems to have gone down hill at the moment

Yes I agree, plus the bags seem smaller and the price has gone up slightly!! My last lot is very straw-like with lots of non-apetising bits amongst it! Hope the next lot I order is better quality I wonder when they will have this years cut available?

Mine love the yellow straw like Stalky stuff the best, and that's what keeps their poos the best. I just got some last week and it is very soft imo. Nothing like the yellow stalky I usually get. Also the bags are MUCH smaller. I phoned and complained about the size of the bags.

I am considering trying elsewhere as I do spend a lot at DFH.

And, to top matters off, Inca hasn't been eating her pellets as quick as usual, so I am thinking is it cos the hay is not as stalky and not helping her teeth as much, so she has sore teeth! I have the vets with her tomorrow.

ETA: Just called Norman and the yellow stalky stuff is all gone :(

Last edited:
Kermit have your bunnies tried Hay4Pets Timothy and Rye? Its always been fairly stalky when Ive ordered it and you get a very large bag for £16!

Kermit have your bunnies tried Hay4Pets Timothy and Rye? Its always been fairly stalky when Ive ordered it and you get a very large bag for £16!

I got a sample pack of the three types from Hay4Pets ages ago and they weren't keen. Might try again tho' as I am willing to do anything to make the poos better!

Just arrived : 10kg bag of oat, wheat & barley from the hay experts , 9 Kg bag of Ings, 9Kg bag of tomthy & rye from Hay for Pets and a 10KG bag of ss photo to show how big the bags are

DSCF2652.jpg

Just arrived : 10kg bag of oat, wheat & barley from the hay experts , 9 Kg bag of Ings, 9Kg bag of tomthy & rye from Hay for Pets and a 10KG bag of ss photo to show how big the bags are

DSCF2652.jpg

Love the wee bunny peeking in from behind.....'oh is that all for me'!'

Thanks guys. I've placed a 5 small bale order so we'll just have to see what it's like! Worst case scenario - it'll be expensive litter tray hay :shock:. Mine didn't like the Ings hay at all and I wasn't impressed with the Hay for Pets meadow hay. The bunnies wouldn't touch it :(. We're getting lovely 2012 farm bales at the moment but it's very soft and not as stalky at the buns like.

Please let us know what you think when it arrives! I'm on my last 2 bales of DFH so undecided whether to order more?! Mine also didn't like the H4P meadow hay too soft, they loved last years end of season Ings but the latest batch is very different and they don't like it! They've always liked the T&R though so might be worth trying a small bag at some point!

Just had my first delivery from DFH (only ordered yesterday so impressed with delivery)
stalky on left, American timothy on right. Photobucket being a pain so sorry if huge pic

Is not as stalky as Hay for pets timothy but will see what the buns make of it

hay.jpeg
[/IMG]

See, the stuff on the left is what my bunnies like, but their latest stuff looks like the stuff on the right in the above pic.

Back