• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

white vinegar as an air freshener

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
is it ok to leave bowls of undiluted white vinegar around the house? or does it have to be diluted slightly? :wave:

is it ok to leave bowls of undiluted white vinegar around the house? or does it have to be diluted slightly? :wave:

If no one will bother it then it should be fine. I like to pour the white vinegar into a spray bottle with a fine mist settling and spray it into the air like a store bought air fresher. I do dilute it so the vinegar wont ruin the granite counter top or wood furniture in case it got on it. I don't use bowls of it because Raul might bath in it. :lol: It works wonders on cooking odors.

i dont see why not...yeah - make sure its not spilt...I dont mind the smell and use it for cleaning but OH would have a right moan if I used it as air freshner..he doesnt like it:lol::lol::lol:

i dont see why not...yeah - make sure its not spilt...I dont mind the smell and use it for cleaning but OH would have a right moan if I used it as air freshner..he doesnt like it:lol::lol::lol:

If you did it when he wasn't home he would never know. The vinegar smell goes away and it just neutralizes the odors. My hubby would complain that I am making the house smell like a salad. :lol: I just spray it now when he isn't around and he doesn't smell the vinegar at all.

If you did it when he wasn't home he would never know. The vinegar smell goes away and it just neutralizes the odors. My hubby would complain that I am making the house smell like a salad. :lol: I just spray it now when he isn't around and he doesn't smell the vinegar at all.

:lol::lol: I do clean when he is not here - it cleans the stainless sink brilliantly and also the drains - and the first thing he does when he comes is is wrinkle his nose & go aaaah you been cleabing with vinigar again? lol!
Now I try sue it and then open the windows to try get the smell away! ...i dont mind it - but he smells it right away! :lol:

:lol::lol: I do clean when he is not here - it cleans the stainless sink brilliantly and also the drains - and the first thing he does when he comes is is wrinkle his nose & go aaaah you been cleabing with vinigar again? lol!
Now I try sue it and then open the windows to try get the smell away! ...i dont mind it - but he smells it right away! :lol:

Wow! He sure does have a sensitive nose. :lol: I'd go absolutely crazy if I couldn't clean with white vinegar. I clean just about everything with it with the exception of things like the granite. It is the best cleaner ever. I think once the vinegar smell dissipates it leaves the freshest of all smells and it does make everything sparkle. For cleaning I do mix the white vinegar with water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. The alcohol is a wonderful disinfectant. The alcohol is a strong smell. Maybe it will cover up the vinegar smell for your OH?:lol::lol::lol:

Wow! He sure does have a sensitive nose. :lol: I'd go absolutely crazy if I couldn't clean with white vinegar. I clean just about everything with it with the exception of things like the granite. It is the best cleaner ever. I think once the vinegar smell dissipates it leaves the freshest of all smells and it does make everything sparkle. For cleaning I do mix the white vinegar with water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. The alcohol is a wonderful disinfectant. The alcohol is a strong smell. Maybe it will cover up the vinegar smell for your OH?:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:yeah maybe...where do you get rubbing vinigar? and what percentage do you dilute?
could you use this as a disinfectant?

I use astonish kitchen cleaner - kills germs etc...but really prefer to use less chemicals...is use it as its BUAV approved.

presume rubbing alcohol is pet safe?:D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:yeah maybe...where do you get rubbing vinigar? and what percentage do you dilute?
could you use this as a disinfectant?

I use astonish kitchen cleaner - kills germs etc...but really prefer to use less chemicals...is use it as its BUAV approved.

presume rubbing alcohol is pet safe?:D

Sorry, rubbing alcohol is what we in the USA call Isopropyl Alcohol. I usually use equal parts water, alcohol and white vinegar. I also use the alcohol mixed with just water
or even straight depending on what I am trying to disinfect.
Meant to also say that I always rinse Julie's and Raul's things after disinfecting to remove any left residue from the alcohol to be safe.

Last edited:
they weren't even smashed a little bit, they were in loads of tiny pieces. :roll: and i went to order some more and there was only one left :roll: so i ordered them from somewhere else and they cost more :evil: fun fun fun! :lol:

I clean mostly everything with white vinegar diluted in a spray bottle, works great & the smell goes very quickly, plus it's v cheap & not harmful to pets or kids :)

my new tea light holders arrived yay! i got them from some candle shop online and they were very well packaged! (take note asda!) i got three for the lounge which i have filled with vinegar. going to get some in blue and green for the bedroom at some stage aswell. :love:

i used to clean with 50/50 vinegar and water but i found this really gorgeous cleaner from bio-d and it smells like orange and it's the first cleaner i've ever used that hasn't made me sneeze! it's been great for the pets aswell :love:

i'm so sad being excited about tea light holders but i'm trying to get the house looking better so it's exciting for me! :oops::lol:

No problem with that:). Just never use any commercial air fresheners as they are quite toxic for both you and your pets.

Back