• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas for water bowls?

Joh619

Alpha Buck
Hey,

Nora and Walter are currently living in a converted playhouse. They used to have a water bottle but hadn't used it for about a year (I always filled it up every day in case they wanted to use it, but the water never went down in it) so now they just have a bowl. It's one of the brown/blue ceramic "Rabbit" bowls. But no matter where I put it, Nora manages to knock it and I'm constantly having to mop up the floor. Which is kinda ruining the point of keeping Walter in the playhouse as his feet are getting wet while he's in it and he can't clean them too well anymore.

Does anyone have any cunning method to stop water bowls being spilled constantly, or a magic water bowl that is harder to spill water from? THe only thing I can think of is putting it on something that will collect the water? I could move it out of the way from where Nora jumps, but I'd worry that Walter wouldn't be able to get to it as easily.

I just use a ceramic dog bowl, once it has water in it's impossible for them to spill or tip. It's pretty heavy even without water in.

I would also go for the traditional brown ceramic dog bowl -boring, and annoyingly says 'dog' or 'cat' on it - but it works. The only way they get knocked over is when I tread on / in them.

Otherwise, try a large glazed ceramic plant pot saucer - they are very shallow, though, but you could put a smaller (eg 5") one full of water on a much larger (eg 12") one to act as a splash tray.

I think the cat one is the same size as the rabbit one I already have? They don't actually knock it over, just knock it and the water flies out :lol: I might try getting a bigger one, although I don't know if that would just make it worse and it would be easier to knock :lol:

We have a little metal dish that has a metal ring with a screw that fastens to the inside of the cage, it isn't totally fool proof as Boris will from time to time physically pick it up and throw it somewhere, but it stops accidental spillages and is easy to lift out.

We have a little metal dish that has a metal ring with a screw that fastens to the inside of the cage, it isn't totally fool proof as Boris will from time to time physically pick it up and throw it somewhere, but it stops accidental spillages and is easy to lift out.

From time to time... If only!!!

I have that too and Thor has just worked out that rattling it with his teeth makes a fantastic noise. If he wants something, like breakfast, or dinner, or second breakfast, or tea, or lunch or brunch... Basically if he sees a human and doesn't get food the bowl goes over :roll:

From time to time... If only!!!

I have that too and Thor has just worked out that rattling it with his teeth makes a fantastic noise. If he wants something, like breakfast, or dinner, or second breakfast, or tea, or lunch or brunch... Basically if he sees a human and doesn't get food the bowl goes over :roll:

No Boris's method of seeking attention is to jump off his shelf onto the floor. Makes a nice loud thud.

He has been known to tip the water bowl over Hannibal as well as its located on his shelf and all he has to do is tilt it to pour it over poor Hanny!

Hans method is the much louder lifting up on the hutch door and slamming it on the ground. You can hear that from outside....

This one, largest size: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ceramic-bowl-for-dogs-by-mason-cash-13786

Holds about 1.2litres and is really hard for them to tip even when empty, and is so heavy when it has water in that it doesnt get knocked either. I used to have the exact same issue, except Barney also delighted in using his strength to deliberately tip bowls as well, even dog ones.

This is what I have too, the only time they spill it is when they get overexcited and one jumps in and has an accidental paddle.

Back