• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Think Buster may have a UTI: Another Update

sammywoo

Warren Scout
Thought his urine output and fluid intake had both increased, now found dribbles outside his cage. Knew he wasn't quite his normal self. Vets at 4.45. :(

Last edited:
Update

Just got back from the vets. He said UTI's are uncommon in male rabbits but a possibility. He's had an injection of painkiller and I've got a urine collection kit to try and get a specimen. The bladder wasn't palpable and he couldn't feel anything wrong with his abdomen. So not really sure what's wrong with him. I just know he isn't his normal naughty self, he's letting me stroke him for far too long! Well, before we went to the vets anyway! Now he's running away! Horrible mum! :shock:

Buster's urine sample was analysed at the vets today and under the microscope there was so much sediment the vet said he couldn't tell if there's an infection. It is being sent for culture to check. He certainly has too much sediment there so I have to further reduce the calcium in his diet (which I started doing about 10 days ago when I thought his urine was overly white and coating his poos). I'm picking up some Metacam in the morning to keep him comfortable as he has been intermittently grinding his teeth. Can anyone please advise how I can help with his diet? Which pellets are best? Also, is there anything I should be pushing the vet to do? He has been really lovely, so glad I've found a good rabbit-savvy vet :D Should I be concerned about stones and ask for an x-ray? The vet did say there was no evidence of crystals so I'm guessing he isn't concerned about that? x

I buy some special urinary tract health pellets from the hay experts for Trevor. Sorry I can't remember the make and they are in the shed, it could be vetcare?? Trevor had real sludgy urine and it is now loads better, I am really impressed with them. She also gets the odd mature excel pellet with cranberry as a treat x

Buster's urine sample was analysed at the vets today and under the microscope there was so much sediment the vet said he couldn't tell if there's an infection. It is being sent for culture to check. He certainly has too much sediment there so I have to further reduce the calcium in his diet (which I started doing about 10 days ago when I thought his urine was overly white and coating his poos). I'm picking up some Metacam in the morning to keep him comfortable as he has been intermittently grinding his teeth. Can anyone please advise how I can help with his diet? Which pellets are best? Also, is there anything I should be pushing the vet to do? He has been really lovely, so glad I've found a good rabbit-savvy vet :D Should I be concerned about stones and ask for an x-ray? The vet did say there was no evidence of crystals so I'm guessing he isn't concerned about that? x

Is he a good hay eater ? If so I would advise you feed a hay a Veg diet, no pellets at all or just a tiny portion a couple of times a week

These links may be of benefit to you to take a look at

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...ies/Sludge.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...olithiasis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...olithiasis.htm

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/rabbi...der-Stones.htm

Then there is a Webinar on here, just click on the first video link

http://thewebinarvet.com/supreme-rabbit-webinars/

Thankyou for the links Jane, I've had a look through all of them and made some changes. I've ordered some of the Supreme Urinary Health Pellets and will start to decrease the amount further once established. Have been giving minimal veg on the vets advice, only the odd bits of low calcium veg/fruit. He's been eating lots of hay though and his poos are the best I've seen them so that's good.

Just got back from the vets again as Buster has a damp nose today and the teeth grinding has come back. Apparently the urine sample grew e-coli and streptococcus so antibiotics started today and daily Metacam for a minimum of 5 days. The vet said his bladder felt thickened, still wondering if the UTI is secondary to possible stones or sludge. We'll see how he goes this week, hoping he picks up :shock:

Your vet said UTI's were uncommon in rabbits? :? I don't think that is right but everything else your vet has done seems to be good. Hopefully the antibiotics will help him, sounds like something may be underlying but it also could be a bad UTI which is causing the urine to have sediment in it (Not sure if that would be the case as I don't know much about sediment in urine).
Fingers crossed he recovers soon xx

Thank you. He said a primary UTI in a male bunny of only 4 months old is unusual but not impossible. I know in people UTI's cause sediment in the urine so hopefully it is just that and nothing else going on in the background xxx

Back