• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to get Rabbit use to cage :(

aggy-coco

New Kit
Hi Everybody. I have go a fantastic one year old girl-rabbit ,she is healthy and full of energy . I have got a problem with housing... i use to leave on my own, now i moved in with my partner and he wont let Coco stay out all the time. I never used a cage before coco had her own room and lots of space .Now she need to stay in cage over night :( She is making lots of noise as she it traing to get out... Any ideas how i could get her use to it??? I am a softy and if i could i would get her out asap! Thank you for your time

Hi there,

Coco is obviously used to having lots of space, so will be quite confused about being in a cage, and is trying hard to get out by the sounds of it.

How big is the cage? Perhaps you could extend it to allow her more space whilst still 'containing' her so she can't get up to mischief - lots of people use the puppy pen panels to do this. Alternatively, could you work with your boyfriend to bunny proof a room so that none of his possessions are at risk (if that is the issue)?

This isn't a short-term solution because it's probably too late in the year now, but if you have a garden, perhaps you could get Coco a friend and have them as outdoor bunnies from next summer, then you may be able to give more permanent space?

Thank you for that advice . I will look now on internet for something that could help extand it. The cage is a big one :) but i know she misses her freedom :(

I know it will be hard for her. i will work my way around and get a spare room sorted but it will take time to " brain wash" my partner ;) he isnt to keen for a rabbit... I am sure we will win that war ;) she is better today , but i think its nights that she don't want to stay in it. I might take her for a walk in the garden :) to ... "stretch her legs"

I had the same problem with my Boris, he was used to free ranging and then when we moved mum wouldn't allow him to be out 24/7 so had to be shut in at night. He basically went crazy so in the end I got him a bigger cage (120 cm I think it was) and attached a pen to it. I also got him plenty of toys to keep him occupied. That made him calm down a lot :) As soon as he noticed that I was awake in the morning, however, he'd make a racket, chewing the bars and begging to be let out. I usually let him run around my room for a bit in the morning before I went to school and he was ok with that. Then he free ranged in the living room for 8 hours in the afternoon/evening :)

I am going to shop for something that could extend the cage ,and need to get some more toys thank you for an advice :) off i go to shop :)

Back