• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

making the hutch winter proof?

gwaterhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone got any ideas about how I can winter proof the hutch for winter? As unfortunately they won't be able to come inside this winter...

Obviously there's loss of hay etc. Just wondered if anyone had any other ideas? I'm going to put variety down where I can, I wondered maybe carpet the walls or something? But I'm open to anything that may keep it just that little bit warmer!

In the past we have us a few things to insulate the hutch. From bubble wrap, polystyrene or carpet onto of the hutch then covered with either a tarp or hutch covers. Apart from that it goes without saying loads of hay/straw, we used snugglesafes last winter too.

This year we have a shed though.

If they have been outside since summer they will have built up a nice winter coat, they deal better with cold weather than you'd think.

When I had an outside rabbit we put vetbed over the whole floor and a pet carrier full of hay.

My dad used to hang carpet over the front of the hutch over night and hold it there with a couple of bricks on top. It kept the cold night wind out.

wow! thanks for the replies so far..writearpet seems like a good idea, so I'll put that on top and on the sides of the hutch, I'll also get a cheap duvet (Would that be better than carpet?) and hang that over the front of the hutch with tarp over the top of that.

I'm also thinking of putting clear plastic over parts of the wire to help keep rain out. The pet carrier seems a good idea too, I'll check there is room for that!

What are these snuggle safe things? I've heard of them before I think....

They're like a pillow with little beads inside that conduct thermal energy when you heat it in the microwave.
It goes in a cover and that can be placed in the hutch, with a few towels on top. Never place it without putting towels on top as this can burn a bunny.

They're like a pillow with little beads inside that conduct thermal energy when you heat it in the microwave.
It goes in a cover and that can be placed in the hutch, with a few towels on top. Never place it without putting towels on top as this can burn a bunny.

Cheers!

Anyone got any other tips? I'm going they'll also keep each other warm....

wow! thanks for the replies so far..writearpet seems like a good idea, so I'll put that on top and on the sides of the hutch, I'll also get a cheap duvet (Would that be better than carpet?) and hang that over the front of the hutch with tarp over the top of that.

I'm also thinking of putting clear plastic over parts of the wire to help keep rain out. The pet carrier seems a good idea too, I'll check there is room for that!

What are these snuggle safe things? I've heard of them before I think....

I got my Snugglesafes from VetUK as they were the cheepest I found.

I have heard of some people using clear plastic shower curtains over the mesh part of the cage, not tried it myself though and I don't know what it would be like for ventilation.

A small cosy box that you can stuff with hay so it holds them, the hay with no space round about. I got clear tarp on Ebay and it's great stuff.

Whatever you do you can be sure they will ignore and stay in the coldest part of the shed!

Personally I would not advocate the use of carpet or duvets. Even if they are well covered over, they will still get damp from dew and moisture in the air, in which case they will do the exact opposite of insulating and will draw heat out of the hutch. You also need to be very careful about covering the front of the hutch, there is a very fine line between making it cosy, and not allowing air to circulate, which can result in pneumonia as stale air and bacteria build up - I remember a tragic case on here a couple of years back where someone had covered the front of the hutches with duvets to keep them warm and one of the bunnies had died probably as a result of this.

Personally I would find some way of covering over most of the mesh with a clear plastic/Perspex etc to keep out rain and wind, leaving gaps for ventilation (easier if the hutch is over a run as the hole into the run provides some ventilation) and just ensure that there is a cosy area which is completely packed with straw/hay for the bunnies to retreat into to get cosy. One of my hutches has one of those Trixie run shelters in it, the other had a pet carrier, both stuffed with hay so that the buns can snuggle deep inside.

If you want to insulate the hutch fully, I would either insulate the inside of the walls and ceiling then cover it with a thin layer of ply to stop bunny teeth, or use a product which does not absorb water - like one of those silver insulation jacket thingies or bubble wrap, on the outside.

As aliduncan says though, you'll most likely find that they ignore it for most of the time and sit somewhere cold :lol: as they grow thick winter coats I don't find that they are generally that bothered by winter outdoors apart from those very few days each year when it can get bitterly cold.

Personally I would not advocate the use of carpet or duvets. Even if they are well covered over, they will still get damp from dew and moisture in the air, in which case they will do the exact opposite of insulating and will draw heat out of the hutch. You also need to be very careful about covering the front of the hutch, there is a very fine line between making it cosy, and not allowing air to circulate, which can result in pneumonia as stale air and bacteria build up - I remember a tragic case on here a couple of years back where someone had covered the front of the hutches with duvets to keep them warm and one of the bunnies had died probably as a result of this.

Personally I would find some way of covering over most of the mesh with a clear plastic/Perspex etc to keep out rain and wind, leaving gaps for ventilation (easier if the hutch is over a run as the hole into the run provides some ventilation) and just ensure that there is a cosy area which is completely packed with straw/hay for the bunnies to retreat into to get cosy. One of my hutches has one of those Trixie run shelters in it, the other had a pet carrier, both stuffed with hay so that the buns can snuggle deep inside.

If you want to insulate the hutch fully, I would either insulate the inside of the walls and ceiling then cover it with a thin layer of ply to stop bunny teeth, or use a product which does not absorb water - like one of those silver insulation jacket thingies or bubble wrap, on the outside.

As aliduncan says though, you'll most likely find that they ignore it for most of the time and sit somewhere cold :lol: as they grow thick winter coats I don't find that they are generally that bothered by winter outdoors apart from those very few days each year when it can get bitterly cold.

Hmmm what if i change the carpet every day with a different one and allow the other one to dry? or would it get damp etc overnight to the point that it is counter productive...?

I like the idea of insulating and covering with plywood, that's something that I could easily do actually.

And i'm more than prepared for them to ignore it! :lol: Just so long as they have somewhere to go in case it does get bitterly cold!!

Thanks, that works! :thumb:

I have a hutch cover and just fill the bedroom compartment full of hay, it's worked fine for 5 years for elvis lol

I've been using blankets/duvets and tarp for 11years and never had a problem all my bunnies are snug

We have perspex covers over the mesh part to keep out the worst of the wind and rain - we've either used big hinges to attach them to the roof or put cup hooks on the hutch and eyes on the top of the covers. The perspex is attached to a wood frame and the whole thing hangs an inch or two off the front of the hutch so there is plenty of ventilation.

In the past, we've also nailed lino to the top of the hutch to drape down over the perspex at night for extra insulation (and so they can't see the foxes come past!).

As others have said, if they've been out since summer so they can build up their coats, and have a nesting box/corner that is sheltered and stuffed with hay they will be fine. We do have snugglesafes but only use them if they're poorly or the temp is forecast to go well below zero. Our buns will usually happily sit out in their run areas in rain and snow but tend to hide from wind, so we leave it to their choice as they obviously know where to go if they want to! :roll:

We have perspex covers over the mesh part to keep out the worst of the wind and rain - we've either used big hinges to attach them to the roof or put cup hooks on the hutch and eyes on the top of the covers. The perspex is attached to a wood frame and the whole thing hangs an inch or two off the front of the hutch so there is plenty of ventilation.

In the past, we've also nailed lino to the top of the hutch to drape down over the perspex at night for extra insulation (and so they can't see the foxes come past!).

As others have said, if they've been out since summer so they can build up their coats, and have a nesting box/corner that is sheltered and stuffed with hay they will be fine. We do have snugglesafes but only use them if they're poorly or the temp is forecast to go well below zero. Our buns will usually happily sit out in their run areas in rain and snow but tend to hide from wind, so we leave it to their choice as they obviously know where to go if they want to! :roll:

Perspex is a good idea! :thumb:

I do have a see through plastic sheet, but it gets ripped easily... so will have a look and decide what to do with it.

I'm reassured that a lot of people do similar and have their rabbits out over winter... so hopefully they'll be okay! :D

Snuggle safes are on amazon for £12 with delivery:) I have 3 .. But only 2 outdoor buns :lol: When they were on their own I had some carpet underlay (I think that's what it's called?) and over that was tarpauling, it was alright in winter because it was dark anyway but I usually used a blanket and the clear tarpauling when it was cold the rest of the year :)

I use clear perspex on my hutch in winter, most panels where they like to sit and look out. I leave abouut a two inch gap at the top for air. I have also ben using that sliver bubble wrap stuff which is good in winter and summer.

Spenser had a state of the art therms cover specially made to fit his hutch. It's arrival was delayed due to bad weather, and in fact he never really benefited from it as he managed to manouevre himself indoors before the worst of the following winter. This said, I would recommend it as money well spent - about £100, but not only does it insulate the hutch, it makes attending on the bunnies possible, indeed easy, without having to unwrap the whole thing.

mine all managed last year in -15 with just bin bags, and tarps, i just made sure they had loads of bedding

Back