• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bring an outdoor Hutch Inside for a few days?

Creative_A

New Kit
Hi Everyone,

My rabbit hutch needs a paint and proper coating before the winter and with this rubbish, wet weather we have had recently it hasn't properly dried out before it decides to rain again and for me to paint it. My rabbit is 2 3/4 years old and has lived outside from when I got him at 6 weeks old. I was thinking of bring the hutch into my conservatory for a few days just so the hutch can properly dry and I can treat/coat the outside but my only concern and what I'm a bit wary of is that its warmer inside and if I have him inside for a few days and then put him outside again will he get ill or will it effect him? He does come inside the house when I pick him up and brush him and he runs around in the living room and conservatory but only for 30mins to an hour at a time.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

It would prob not be a good idea unless you can get the temp much closer to that outside, turning the heating off, opening all windows and keeping them open all of the time might do it.

Changes in temp can lead to respiratory infections. Also I don't know how long it would take but if a bun is in a warmer environment for too long it might trigger a moult, which would put them in danger when they do go back out!

Thank you hele, I have heard of the respiratory issue before and I don't want to take the risk if it means there could be issues afterwards. I have a large shed at the top of the garden, would that be a better idea? I could leave the door open a bit but it will be a bit dark in there...?

Thank you
Andy

Personally I think that would be much better, could you leave the door open in the day and maybe close it at night?

They may wonder why it's suddenly so gloomy but I think that gloomy for a few days is better than potentially giving them the bunny version of a cold just when they need to be at peak condition to cope with winter!

I was thinking of doing that in the first place (the shed idea) but thought inside would help dry the hutch out quicker. I will put him in the shed then...I was thinking of leaving the door half open but I have large windows on the shed so would that be a better idea and then keep the door shut? I would rather do the door as it gives him light and then close it at night and I don't want him thinking its night in the day as its dark in there! The place I got my rabbit from originally was from someones house and they had a shed/large hut where they kept there rabbits but then again they lived in there...

Thanks again
Andy

Back