• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc's heel has cracked again

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
it's been about 5 months i think since the last time which is good but we noticed some blood on the floor and checked him over and it's the same place on his left heel again. he had blood all over both feet and his underneath but i wiped it off and bathed his foot in cooled boiled salt water and then dried it and applied the honey. i also trimmed his nails even more to try and help.

so again, we will be bathing with salt water twice a day and applying honey once a day. last time it cleared up quite quickly so hopefully it will be the same this time.

bisc is fine in himself so that's good.

I hope he gets better soon. Have you tried Sudocrem?

no we haven't tried it. i meant to buy some last time this happened actually but forgot :oops: we use norweigan formula cream for cracked hands usually which the vet recommended. i checked bisc's heels last week and they were fine so i'm really shocked they have cracked this week :?

When poppy had her bad heel the vets gave me this cream think it was called vet gold, looked a bit like vasaline, I also only let her walk on vet bed for a couple of weeks, hope biscs heel gets better soon xx

no we haven't tried it. i meant to buy some last time this happened actually but forgot :oops: we use norweigan formula cream for cracked hands usually which the vet recommended. i checked bisc's heels last week and they were fine so i'm really shocked they have cracked this week :?

Yes, this sort of thing sounds the best. We have to be very careful about putting on creams, cos some attract bacteria & cause infections.
I wonder whether they crack because the skin dries out or gets thick?
When it's better but not until, you may ask the vet about using a little E45 (a non allergenic emollient) occasionally, just to help to keep the skin more supple & less likely to crack. ;)

ETA I'm not very familiar with norwegian formula cream - it could be very similar to E45 as to make no difference.

When poppy had her bad heel the vets gave me this cream think it was called vet gold, looked a bit like vasaline, I also only let her walk on vet bed for a couple of weeks, hope biscs heel gets better soon xx

thanks, i'll keep it in mind if they get any worse in the future. hopefully they won't though. i've been padding up the floor even more, trying to get all the padded blankets washed and dried. xxx

Yes, this sort of thing sounds the best. We have to be very careful about putting on creams, cos some attract bacteria & cause infections.
I wonder whether they crack because the skin dries out or gets thick?
When it's better but not until, you may ask the vet about using a little E45 (a non allergenic emollient) occasionally, just to help to keep the skin more supple & less likely to crack. ;)

ETA I'm not very familiar with norwegian formula cream - it could be very similar to E45 as to make no difference.

this is where i get worried, because the skin gets quite dry and the fur is quite worn down on bisc's feet, but i don't want to start overdoing it with the cream for the reasons you said. so last week i checked them and they seemed fine, and then this week they cracked. so i should have put a tiny bit of cream on last week but to me it didn't seem like they needed it :?

i use e45 so we always have that here. the vet did mention the norweigan formula and he has mentioned sudocrem aswell.

luckily when i bathed bisc's heel this morning, it looks much better already. it's not as bad as last time it cracked so that's good. i think it will be back to normal within a week or so. :D

this is where i get worried, because the skin gets quite dry and the fur is quite worn down on bisc's feet, but i don't want to start overdoing it with the cream for the reasons you said. so last week i checked them and they seemed fine, and then this week they cracked. so i should have put a tiny bit of cream on last week but to me it didn't seem like they needed it :?

i use e45 so we always have that here. the vet did mention the norweigan formula and he has mentioned sudocrem aswell.

luckily when i bathed bisc's heel this morning, it looks much better already. it's not as bad as last time it cracked so that's good. i think it will be back to normal within a week or so. :D

That's sounding really hopeful. :) The good thing about E45 is that it isn't oily, & is well absorbed into the skin if you just use a little. So it doesn't leave an oily film on the surface to attract bacteria.
We use it for the chronic thickened stage of eczema exactly for that reason.
Obviously we don't want the skin on the heel too soft or it won't cushion properly & wear off, but we don't want it so dry it will crack.
You're a fantastic bunnt Mum I've every confidence you get the idea & will get it right.:)

That's sounding really hopeful. :) The good thing about E45 is that it isn't oily, & is well absorbed into the skin if you just use a little. So it doesn't leave an oily film on the surface to attract bacteria.
We use it for the chronic thickened stage of eczema exactly for that reason.
Obviously we don't want the skin on the heel too soft or it won't cushion properly & wear off, but we don't want it so dry it will crack.
You're a fantastic bunnt Mum I've every confidence you get the idea & will get it right.:)

thank you. i will try the e45 instead. because it has been months between this happening, i thought maybe put a little cream on them every nail trim so that's not too often and not left too long hopefully. :D

just a quick update. bisc's heel is fine now. it took about a week to go back to normal. i think the nebulising helps speed up the process aswell. :D

just a quick update. bisc's heel is fine now. it took about a week to go back to normal. i think the nebulising helps speed up the process aswell. :D

Thanks for updating us. I'm really pleased.:D
I'm wondering whether stress plays a much larger part in delayed recovery of buns in several aspects.
I think that a clear airway will markedly reduce stress in buns.:)

Back