• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home Adoption question :)

XxLeanne

Warren Scout
I was up pets at home yesterday booking Joey in to the vets when I saw a commotion at the pet area around the rabbit bit and there was the most baby rabbits I've seen in there before and while I was trying to stop my heart from melting lol I noticed in the adoption there was a young looking REW, it said 'has been here for a long time so the charity is looking for a home for snowy' so does this mean Snowy was ex stock? I have two single males and will soon be looking to get two females, if Snowy is female she'd be perfect as she/he was beautiful (I don't see why no one likes REW even people who looked at snowy said not very nice things while I was standing there lol) however I don't know if I feel the same with 'adopting' ex stock! Also do you get neutering like you would adopting from a rescue?

What will happen if he/she can't be rehomed there either? I'm guessing he/she was put in there to make way for the new babies?

Also the rabbits in the bit for sale where sneezing a lot is that normal? Seeing them all flop ontop of eachother and cuddle confirmed I need to get a move on with getting my boys a lady friend lol

It does sound like she's ex stock.

You don't get neutering/vaccinating like you do with a rescue although occassionally they do offer half price neutering vouchers for use at whatever the vets are that are in p@h.

Sneezing is not normal. It could be a reaction to something in the environment or it could be that they all have some sort of illness. Personally that would make me very wary of adopting a rabbit in the same store, which was previously in the same pen. It might be worth talking to a staff member or writing them a letter about that.

Yes, that means he was ex-stock. He was put in there when he got older, to make room for the cuter, younger babies.

No, he/she won't be neutered or vaccinated - its not like buying a rabbit from a rescue in that respect - you're basically just buying a pet shop bunny but older, so the same cons list that goes with that. The pro is that the money doesnt go to the store, but to the P@H Support Adoption Charity.

If he/she cant be 'adopted' from there, he/she will either stay there, or sometimes they move them to a different store. They usually get snapped up quite quickly whilst they're still young, as they have the sympathy factor because noone else wanted to buy them.

And no, sneezing is definately NOT normal, is there any way you could ring the store and make them aware? It's bad that the staff didn't notice. Sneezing would likely indicate a respiritory infection, and likely with a lot of them doing it, it was probably snuffles, and such rabbits should not be on sale at all. They all need to be seen by a vet, and then put in adoption sections with a note about their condition.

She does sound like ex stock but pah won't get anything if you adopt as all the money goes to the rescues involved they also are suppose to give you a voucher for neutering so make sure you ask about it first as they just tick the box then ask you to sign for the adoption and don't give the voucher

Thanks for answering all my questions :) I go to the vets in there and will let them know when I take Joey up for neutering , they have two pens and I see rabbits in both sneeze :/ and I'm really not interested in another un-neutered rabbit and a half price voucher is no good as its not money it's the fear of the operation for me lol

Just a thought, you could try bonding your boys together after their hormones have calmed down from the operation? (about 8 weeks after) That is, unless you want two more rabbits :)

If you want to get them girlfriends, it is probably best to get does that are already neutered, as you just cant tell how they will be with each other until they are neutered, and it would be a shame to have them for ages and get them neutered, only to find out that they dont get along!

That would be so amazing but Elvis is 5 now and Joey is about 7 months, Joey is a crazy binky bunny and Elvis is a relaxed sit and graze bunny lol I think Joey would really annoy Elvis? And oh god I can't imagine anything worse than left with four singles two is enough I spend enough time trying to be there bonded girlfriend haha

I adopted Peter from a P@H and got given a £20 off neutering (almost 50% off) voucher that had to be used within 6 months.

Apparently Peter wasn't ex stock (although I don't know if he originally came from P@H) but that he was brought in as his previous owners children didn't like him :( I don't know why, he's a lovely charactor, very affectionate and a bundle of fun. He is hard to handle so cuddling is a no go but he absolutley loves attention - very attention seeking :lol: - and sits very happily to recieve a stroke and a nose rub.

They paid for my charlies full spay in fact they paid twice as they couldn't spay her the first time and didn't no till they opened her up so pah paid twice

It is good that you get a voucher it's just I'm terrified for my boys as it is I don't think I could cope with getting four done! Lol

Hello,
I have adopted 2 buns from the P@H adoption centre a girl and a boy. I never got any voucher for neutering i paid for it myself.

xx

Back