• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

critical care -how much

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I'm going to have to give Doughnut some critical care but the instructions are all in Dutch,French or German! How much should I be giving her a day since she hasn't eat anything in the last few hours.

if I get her dandilion leaves she's eating them but they made her have a runny bum if she has too many. Should I just keep giving her them siince she's eating them?

Last edited:
Can you get some fresh basil leaves and try those tomorrow? I see on your other post you have done Fibreplex, if so I would use this first.

But if your using the critical care it tends to say feed your rabbit 6 to 8 times throughout the day with the one sachet

I guess it's best to wait with the critical care then if she's eating a bit. She's having a few strands of hay now. Hardly anything but will leave it if everyone things that's the right thing to do!

When we use syringe food, we use Oxbrow Critical care and if I remember correctly it advises approx 3-4 tablespoons per kilo of body weight we heap about 7 on a plate and work out how often to feed and then take one heap mix it in a bowl with some water then syringe. The first few tend to be quite watery as it can be syringed much more easily (and swallowed easier by the bun) plus it allows the gut to be hydrated. xxx

You could try mixing a bit up and offering it on a little dish.

Fresh foods are usually most appealing, try rocket, apple tree leaves, bramble leaves, basil, mint, grass.

Carrots or apple grated or shredded cabbage are tempting.

Back