• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sparkle alone now UD not for much longer

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Sparkle is alone since Twinkle left us :cry:

Should I try him with Pickle and Pootle to make a trio or find a new partner? I didn't want any more bunnies but am not sure. Pickle and Pootle are both quite rough and dominant especially around food, whereas a sparkle is a quiet shy boy. He seems ok on his own at the moment but I am just thinking aloud at the moment.

Any thoughts? Experiences? Ideas?

Last edited:
Tricky one...but I would attempt a trio...and hope that as he is already shy and timid, he would automatically submit to the other 2, and hence no need for territorial fighting. They may just accept him as being sub-serviant to them. Being with the other two boys may also make him less timid. I found that my shy and timid Chloe is much less timid now she is in a quad.

Have you bonded before? If you have, then you will have an idea of what to expect, eg, initial scuffling, which is likely to happen as the other boys may still see him as a threat to their dominence, although it may not last long. I guess they are all neutered, but how old they all?

You already know my feelings on this. I would not risk a trio into a well established pair. As you already have a separate set up for Sparkle my advice would be to find him a new friend when he and you are both ready, no rush xx

I had this dilemma when I lost Noo, but decided that trying to bond Gabe - a livewire - into one of the loved up pairs was not an option. As it turned out Gabe was a complete hump monster during bonding so I have no doubt that it would have been very difficult if not impossible to form a trio. However, if it had been the other way round I would have tried to bond Noo into a trio as she was so quiet and inoffensive and may well have easily fitted in.

A lot depends on the characters involved, did you bond yours initially, if so you may have an idea how they may react. A difficult decision, I know. You could try a trio and then look for a for Sparkle if it doesn't work.

Huge hugs to you, and nose rubs for Sparkle I hope things work out as you want xxxxx

You already know my feelings on this. I would not risk a trio into a well established pair. As you already have a separate set up for Sparkle my advice would be to find him a new friend when he and you are both ready, no rush xx

Yes I haven't disregarded your thoughts Vicky. Just still thinking x

I am more inclined to find a friend for Sparkle, but originally thought I would gradually lessen my rabbits over time. If a bond into an established group is not recommended then my numbers would never decrease.

I know exactly that dilemma, I've had it twice in the past couple of years for exactly the same reasons. I wouldn't advise someone to go and get a third bun to add to a happy established pair but as you already have them all (and so did I), I think there's not really a lot to lose by giving it a go. I tried Dudley in with Harry and Heather when Santa died, but Harry didn't like him, and then recently I tried Heather in with Dudley and his new partner Mavis when Harry died - but Mavis didn't like Heather, so on both occasions I ended up getting another bun and going back to two pairs.

I would give it a go but be prepared to pull the plug more quickly than I would on a duo bond if it looked as if it was going to be particularly difficult or there were signs of the original pair starting to fall out. I know it is a possibility that a pair will fall out during a bond but I have not known it to happen as long as you're there to keep a close eye on their behaviour and body language and are ready to stop rather than keep pushing if there are signs that the original pairing is looking unstable (a bit of humping etc is normal). It can be surprising how the dynamics change or don't work out as you'd expect between buns who as individuals are particularly shy/bossy etc though so while I would be tentative about the mix you have, I don't think I'd rule it out without at least trying it.

Good luck whatever you decide x

I am more inclined to find a friend for Sparkle, but originally thought I would gradually lessen my rabbits over time. If a bond into an established group is not recommended then my numbers would never decrease.

This is my dilemma as well although I have a slight difference in that I have had them before in a quad which started ok although they've also fought before. I need to have mine in a group instead of two groups, for them to have lots of space and for me to make things easier.

I'm trying them together. I tried once a few weeks ago but Mini wasn't ready. I'm going to test the water again and try it and if not get her a partner who is likely to bond with Smudge in the future. Nutmeg and Smudge always seem to go back into their pair, back when I tried a quad and more recently in my first trio attempt.

I'd be inclined to do as Santa suggests - aim for a trio but be prepared to be incredibly vigilant and pull the plug early to prevent damage to the existing bond. Really hope that whatever you decide goes well :wave:

Know it is only a week since I lost Twinkle, but I have found a sweet nethie (Twinkle was part nethie) at a rescue in Essex. She is being neutered this week and will be ready for me to meet her and take her home a couple of weeks after that.

I hope people do to judge me for getting her so quick, but I know Twinkle would not want Sparkle alone, and me to forever feel unable to move on.

I will never forget her x

Awww, she's adorable! Suspecting which vet they are likely to use, I'd see if you can persuade them that she's too young so arrange a 'contract' with the rescue to take her beforehand and get Mark to spay her when she's a bit older...

Awww, she's adorable! Suspecting which vet they are likely to use, I'd see if you can persuade them that she's too young so arrange a 'contract' with the rescue to take her beforehand and get Mark to spay her when she's a bit older...

Animal ark in Goodmayes I think they use.

Back