• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit eating two portions.

I<3Rabbits

Mama Doe
My rabbit Acorn (f) is eating her pellets and Jacks (m). At night time I put pellets in the food ball in the top of the hutch and put some in the downstairs on the hutch in another ball. Acorn is very bosy and jack is very timed, they both adore each other but when it comes down to food acorn is in charge.At night I see her eating out of one ball then going up her ladder and eating out the other.When I go out in the morning both balls are empty but I don't know if she has ate both of all of them.Jack gets plenty of food because I scatter the ved in the morning so he can eat why she eats but I am scared that acorn is eating more dry than she should. She is denfently bigger than Jack round the waste.
How do I stop her eating all the dry food?Pleas help :?

Put the pellets in individual bowls rather than treat balls and stay with your rabbits whilst they eat them so you can be sure they are getting their fair share.

Have you tried scatter feeding? I take a handful of pellets in the morning and spread them around the shed. It means none of the bunnies can chase the others away like they can with a bowl or treat ball.

Separate feeding bowls and either watch them while they eat or split them up for 10 minutes so they can eat. Not much else you can do really. You could try scatter feeding but my dominant bun just goes over to where the other one is anyway - this is in relation to veg as they eat pellets out of the same bowl very amiably - and eats what she's got!

I have the same problem with my female, particularly as she wolfs down her food! I only give them an eggcup of pellets each per day, so I handfeed most of it, and scatterfeed the rest - so it gives me peace of mind that my male is definitely getting a decent share of the pellets.

Have you tried scatter feeding? I take a handful of pellets in the morning and spread them around the shed. It means none of the bunnies can chase the others away like they can with a bowl or treat ball.

This is what I do (except in their cages, i don't have a shed). Scatter feeding is good for mental stimulation, which is why I do it. Mine are finished in like 5-10 minutes, they love pellets so much!

in the morning mine have 9 pellets each with sox getting half a pellet more, i make sure they get this by seprately feeding the pellets, at nght they share there veg but ive watched them do ths and they bpoth get there fair share

my advice would be to feed separtely or watch and make sure they are both getting a fair share of even pellets

Either have two bowls at either end of the hutch so they can't hog both bowls or scatter feed it into the hay. I scatter feed myself as it helps keep them busy for a while and they can't stop the other bun from eating

Back