• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Side effects

aimz

Young Bun
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what the side effects of Baytril in rabbits?

Bert's has been to the vet today as he has had a runny nose and has been wheezing, the vet said he has a nasal infection/inflammation and has given him an injection of baytril, my partner took him and said that this afternoon he has been quiet and doesn't want to move and just seems really sleepy and not himself, he didn't even fidget when being picked up.

Do you think he's ok, I've not been in this situation with a poorly animal before, my guineas don't eem to get ill (touch wood). and the cats are usually pretty easy to work out if they are ok or not.

Please remember I've not had rabbits for a few years now and only had Bertie since March, so am still getting used to bunny behaviour.

If anyone can help, would be really appreciated :)

Thanks
Aimz and one poorly bunny!

Is he eating, and has he pooped?

It's possible the vet visit has stressed him, and he is feeling uncomfortable/has early tummy problems (or this could be caused by his illness too). If his behaviour has changed from usual, and particularly if he is not eating normally or passing faeces, I would want to see a vet again (as an emergency tonight if he is not eating).

Hi, ~I've not noticed if he's not eating, have been checking on him to make sure he's ok.

Give him a few of his favourite foods to see if he will eat them. If you can find some dandelion leaves in the garden, these are usually gobbled up, so if he refuses these you know he is unhappy.

If he is not eating or pooing then he probably needs more medication than just baytril.

Did the Vet administer a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam ?

I think that the bun had the baytril for his infection, and that since the vet visit for that, he has been lethargic and possibly not eating (but not sure of the not eating yet).

I've not seen him eat but he normally eats over night.

He's just a bit drowsy and doesn't fight when picked up, he's quiet, he's moving about a little.

I've not seen him eat but he normally eats over night.

He's just a bit drowsy and doesn't fight when picked up, he's quiet, he's moving about a little.

I would call the Vet again for advice, especially if you dont know when he last ate. A Rabbit needs to always have food going through the GI tract and if he feels too ill to eat he will need syringe feeding and as I said before, he probably needs additional medication too.

Is he vaccinated against Myxomatosis ?

Yes he is, I've been trying to find information on the internet too. but with no luck on baytril side effects.

Will check on him in a min, and will then maybe call the vet.

Have checked on him and he's a bit better, have given him some grass and dandelions, he hadn't touched them when I was there but hopefully he'll eat them over night, he normally eats all his food then.

Thanks for your help guys x

Hi guys, just an update.

He had started to eat lettuce, crackers, and dandelions.

But I do have some bad news, and am finding it hard to say this so soon, but he passed away this afternoon.

Back