• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about shop bunny

claire**

Warren Scout
Hi, I went to my usual place to get hay today and they had a new lot of baby buns in this morning. One of them, had one runny and noticeably red eye, the other eye had a slight lump in the eyelid above and there was something on its nose which looked first like some hay, but on closer look was something crusty, but very small.

They know me in there so I told the staff my worries, they said the buns were vet checked before they got them and will be checked again before sold. I don't know if I'm being over cautious but I said I'm worried it could be myxi. If it just had they runny eye that's one thing, but the fact it had those three together was alarm bells for me. Obviously he didn't want to sound alarmed and he had a look at bun and said the crusty bit on its nose is just a booger. He said was attached to the fur not the skin. But he had several goes at pulling it off and it didn't come off. They put him in a separate enclosure for now.

I was going to buy my usual hay but as a precaution I decided not to, I am worried that if it is myxi there's a risk of contamination. My buns vaccinated etc, and I know it's by mossie bites etc, but could it possibly be passed if staff handle bunny then the packaging of the hay etc? I couldn't risk it so will find somewhere else in the meantime to get my hay.

They are very responsible in terms of the animals they sell, they get vet checked etc, and the buns come from someone who takes in unexpected litters, not from a breeder herself. She then finds homes for the bunnies.

I think I made enough of a worry to get them to sort bun seeing the vet again soon, but I've never seen myxi for real so don't know if was being overly worried over nothing?

Is there any risk to me buying hay from there is it does happen to be something serious? I know there's quite a few local ppl to me, would anyone else be willing to go and have a look and voice concern if they are worried as well?

Back