• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

nebulising a stessful bunny

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Evan has pasturellosis and a secondary pneumonia the vet suggested nebulising at home but he is impossible to handle how is the best way to approach this, I want what's best and vet is confident that gentamicin in a nebulizer will help target the problem head on and at least sort out his pneumonia (i'm aware the abcess within his lungs is incurable) what I'm after is minimizing further damage. Also his serology results have come back and he mounted a low response to the new vaccine, so his nodular myxo is progressing rapidly (he does have immunity which is why I will continue at the minute)
So which is best nebulizer and how best to go about nebulising him? He is on metacam twice daily, zantac,emeprid 0.8ml baytril and avipro and pro-texib profibre so fair amount meds he is eating little amounts and passing a few pops but obviously this may be a terminal issue but I would like to try anything to help him as he is fighting for me but I'm so distraught this is like Finley all over again and a few of you will remember how my poor boys story ended.

Any advice vibes appreciated

I used to put the nebuliser as far away as the tube would allow and put it under a cardboard box and cover it over with towels and coats until the noise was significantly deadened. It still needs airflow, so every now and then I would just lift up the box a bit but for the time it was running, I never had a problem with it covered over.

Good luck x

I haven't got one yet he had his first nebulizer at vet it was really noisy and he hated the mask but I could do the chamber I think if I got a quiet enough one he'd tolerate quite well

I just put Grim in a carrier and poke the nozzle of the nebuliser through the grill and the front. Then I cover the whole thing in a towel. The nebuliser is on a table and the carrier is under the table. This works well for us. :wave:

Thank you for the replies i'm going to give it a try also vet has suggested a humidifier as in keeping my sick bunnies warm i'm also drying out the air so i will give it a go but my poor boy has crusty face and swollen genitals tonight and the vet has added in vetergesic for painrelief :cry:

Thank you for the replies i'm going to give it a try also vet has suggested a humidifier as in keeping my sick bunnies warm i'm also drying out the air so i will give it a go but my poor boy has crusty face and swollen genitals tonight and the vet has added in vetergesic for painrelief :cry:

He sounds to be a very poorly boy :cry:

I'm afraid he is Jane but he is still eating and pooping I'm keeping him comfortable and I have vet appointment tomorrow to check him over discuss prognosis as he may not have enough antibodies to fight the myxi I hope he does I've only had him since Feb and I've recently lost my mum so don't want to lose my bunny

I'm afraid he is Jane but he is still eating and pooping I'm keeping him comfortable and I have vet appointment tomorrow to check him over discuss prognosis as he may not have enough antibodies to fight the myxi I hope he does I've only had him since Feb and I've recently lost my mum so don't want to lose my bunny

I really hope he can pull through and I am so very sorry about your Mum :cry:

(((((((Hugs))))))))) xx

Back